Did I overpay for my Franchi SPAS 12?

Skarekrow88

I recently put a used Franchi SPAS 12 on layaway at my local gun shop after doing some research and came to the conclusion it would be a good investment. It was on consignment for $1500 but I had the gun store owner call and ask the owner of the firearm if he could let it go for $1250 and he said sure. I'm having trouble figuring out if this was a good price or not. At first I thought it was a fair price because of the rarity of these firearms since the AWB of 1994 prevented their importation and according to wikipedia only about 5% (around 1850) made it into the U.S. because of it and not to mention the "cool factor" :p and all this current AWB scare/craziness :(. After further research I found that the Blue Book of Gun Values (30th Ed.) says $675 for 100% condition and Standard Catalog of Military Firearms Collectors (4th Ed.) says $950 for NIB and $800 for excellent condition. I then looked on gunbroker.com and found several variants listed from $800 all the way up to $1800 none of which were as desirable as the one I put on layaway except for maybe one so I am having difficulty deciding if I made a good decision or if I should have attempted to lower the price more :confused:. Any and all opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated. I attached the best photo I could take of the gun. It's in pretty good condition from what I could tell inspecting it at the store but its definitely not NIB or 100% condition

Attachments

• IMG_2741.jpg
    IMG_2741.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 160
It was fairly reasonable IF:
1 - You thought it was
2 - You didn't miss a mortgage payment to do it
3 - You look at it as an investment in fun

Go on gunbroker and search for the Franchi spas 12, you will find they go for about $1500 and up to $2000.
I think you did very well at $1250, enjoy it.

Don't believe everything you read in a Blue Book. It's a good start point, but not always accurate for the market.

I think $1250 for one is a good buy. I bought one years ago for $250, but that is another story:D

Thanks for all the input everyone. I never had buyers remorse or anything, but I definitely feel better about the deal now. This forum is awesome :D

SPAS 12 is well worth it. Investment shotgun

Just watched a SPAS-12L sell on GB for $1699.00, It only had the factory folding stock with hook... No manual, sling, tool or plug. These shotguns are sky rocketing. I remember in 2002 at any given time their were about 40 SPAS-12's on GB for sale. Now less than 10 at any given time. Good investment Sir. Im willing to bet in the next 10 years they are going to average over 3k.

BigD_in_FL said:
It was fairly reasonable IF:
1 - You thought it was
2 - You didn't miss a mortgage payment to do it
3 - You look at it as an investment in fun

4 - Your "significient other" won't put Ex-Lax in your Wheaties because you bought it. . :p

Back