did i just get a bad one?

riverratt

A couple of years ago i picked up an H&R handi rifle in .44mag for my boy to deer hunt with. I was gonna get a .357mag for him but i reload and figured i could reduce the recoil enough with a lite load so he could shoot it. I had a prostaff 3-9x40 lieing around so i mounted that on the gun.

I started the loads out with a 200gr xtp over 9gr of unique (i think been a couple years) not expecting much accuracy with the slow twist, and guess what it wasnt. Key holeing rounds at 25yrds. Worked the charge upto 12gr. The gun shot much better but still not great, 3in at 50yrds. The places i hunt you aint gonna get a shot much farther than that. It had low recoil so i settled with that.

Now that he is a bit older and alot bigger i tried some factory wwb 240gr. The load gave me 5in group at 50yrd. Figured i would fair better with my handloads so i tried. Sense then i have tried everything from 200gr xtp to a 250gr cast and in powder 2400, h110 and w 296. Nothing gave me better results than the unique load. I have even tried several factory loads, all giving me poor results.

I have already checked the scope, bases and rings none of that was the problem.

Am i just expecting to much from that gun or is there something wrong? I have a ruger sbh that can shoot 3in at 100yrd but it has a faster twist. Is the poor accuracy just because of the 1in36(38) twist? Anyone have any ideas?

I can't tell you what is wrong with the rifle, but if I were you I'd go over to Grey Beard Outdoors forum. They have a lot more information on the Handi rifle. Read their FAQ's and Help sticky first, and I'll bet you'll find a solution to improve your accuracy.

Back