Diamondback's and the fun of a revolver

Peter M. Eick

I just got my Diamondback fixed so I had to test it out. I broke the cylinder stop arm after 21 years of shooting the gun so I really do not feel bad, but I was very concerned about the repair job. My little diamondback has served me for over 2 decades, and it is the only gun I would not sell to get through college. Lately though I have been into the more powerful 10mm pistol and 357 sigs pistols, so the diamondback has had a lot of "safe" time.

Anyway, I got it back and just finished about 700 rnds of revolver shooting. What a trip! I had totally forgotten about how much fun it can be to just load six, put a nice group in the target and do it again and again. No problem with the first shot going out of the group or anything. Obviously the fix works great, the double action is smooth as always and I am a happy camper.

I will have to start brousing the revolvers to replace my Python I sold to make it through college. For at least 5 years now I have only looked at pistols, so this will be a change.

Anyway, I just wanted to expound a bit on the fun of a revolver for a bit.

Peter--Glad to hear you "old friend" is none the worse for wear...I'm curious...WHO did the repair work? Colt revolversmiths aren't exactly commonplace anymore, you know!?!? I hope you don't get "sticker shock" when you look at the price of Pythons these days...to say that they've "appreciated nicely" would be an understatement!!!....mikey357

Peter - I, too, would be interested in knowing who did the work. I have a "first" model Trooper in .357 that I love, but it has begun to spit lead back at me and one cylinder will fail to fire after a couple of cylinders have been shot through it. I've called Colt about sending it back, and they've told me how to do it. I got the gun back 10 years after it was stolen and had some cosmetic work done on it...it was slightly rust-pitted and I had to have it bead-blasted and re-blued. It came out great, but I need to have it "tuned." After losing it once, I'm just leery of having someone mess with it. Thanks!

I took it to my local (Houston, tx) specialty gun store. Fountain Firearms. They are a high end store dealing in H&K, SIG and Baer (or at least that is all I look at). They have an on-site smith who has put some sights on for me and then this repair to the diamondback. By the way when I sold my Python, (1984) it went for $425. What is a good (old)6.5" python going for now? I had a 60's vintage (bought used for $375 in 1980) from the same guy I bought my used Diamondback from ($225, 1980).

One last point for interest. The total repair was $31.88 and he cleaned and lubed the revolver while it was open.

Anyway, enough about old history. Here is the link:http://home.flash.net/~ffi/index.htm

If you have questions or call ask for Oren Fountain. Great guy to work with and very knowledgable. I have bought 5 pistols from him and never had a problem or a complaint. Very forthcoming and helpful.

Pete

Glad to hear you Diamondback made it through surgery!;)

I also love shooting my .22 Diamondback. It goes on every range trip, and I'm sure the other snakes get jealous of her. Solid gun + cheap ammo = great fun!!

A "new" old Python will go for $650-$1000, depending on the barrel length, finish, and other factors. Most are in the $800 range.

Snake

Back