about citizens who depended solely upon their telephone and police
response for emergency help against a violent criminal. Not only
did those crime victims not get help, the local government and
police escaped legal responsibility for failing to help those
victims.

This compact paperback reviews the law in all 50 states, Puerto
Rico, the Virgin Islands, the District of Columbia and Canada,
showing how statutes and court decisions consistently hold that
the police generally have "no duty" to protect individual citizens.
When it comes to personal self-defense, citizens are on their own.

Highlighting the importance of preparing to protect oneself and
family, the book also retells 45 stories about people who successfully
defended themselves long before any police could help.

Check the law of your state, and of the states where your loved
ones live. If you are interested in public policy questions about
government liability, gun control or victims' rights, or if protecting
yourself and your family is your worry, this book tells you what
you need to know about whether you have any "right" to police
protection.

Certainly you will never look at your telephone the same way again.

--
http://dial911.itgo.com/

I havn't read it yet, just thought people here may be interested.

Call a cop, call an ambulance and order a pizza. The pizza, which you called last,
takes 20 minutes to cook and usually gets there first, soon followed by the ambulance.
After the ambulance attendents have placed
your corpse in the meat wagon, the police arrive to protect your remains. The felon
who assaulted your home gets to eat the pizza.

To serve and protect. Yea...right!
To serve pizza & protect your remains.
Not too---far---of a strech. 1 cop for every 50,000 sheeple cant be every where.

I would rather be armed and responsible
for my own protection, then at least I would
have at 80% chance of surviving.

[This message has been edited by ernest2 (edited December 09, 1999).]

Speaking of which, one of the 911 systems requires that you (yes, YOU) send an update card to your main 911 hub whenever you change phone numbers, add a line or change addresses.

Your local 911 provider (not the Fire Dept, LEA, etc.,) can tell you which system your area has and supply you with the update cards.

This can lead to the embarrassing situation of getting a screaming 911 hang-up, going hell-bent for leather to the address on the screen, sneaking into the residence, and drawing down on Granpa Frickett.

LawDog: "This isn't the Jones residence, is it?"

Granpa: "Nope. They moved 'cross town three years ago."

LawDog: "You wouldn't happen to know their address, would you?"

Granpa: "Don't have the foggiest clue. Can I put my arms down now?"

;-)LawDog

LawDog: Thanks for the info. Every news story I have ever seen about 911 has shown they have caller ID, which is automatically updated by the telephone company if you change your address and keep the same telephone number.

Allegedly, the 911 systems are as up-to-date as the mail-order companies, which, when I call in on their 800 line, say, "Yes, Mr. Eatman, what can we do for you?"

January 1st will be interesting, won't it?

:), Art

Art I think you are right, about 5 years ago I called 911 to see if phone would dial it, when disconected and hung up during the first ring. About 5 minutes later two cops were walking up my drive way looking at me suspiciouly. I told them what happened and they said all right dont do it again and left.

Average response time here in this 'burb is 7 minutes,that's arrival time and not time incident's resolved. anyone with any experience knows how much bad stuff can happen in 7 SECONDS.

I'll call 911, but the other hand will have something more effective in it....

Response here is right around 5 minutes, I am proud and thankful for that service. Whether ambulance or fire would be as quick I dunno. But if what I'm calling is the police, because of some threat of violence, I, too, will have a gun in my hand first.

Of course, if it is not needed I will have it put away as soon as the gendarmes arrive, no sense causing any tension.

I'm going to begin using this one:

Anti: I don't need a gun like your violent self; I'll call 911. That's what phones are for.

Me: I call 911 too. I also call the fire department when there's a fire. How about you?

A: Of course.

M: And you trust that they'll come?

A: Of course.

M: I see. Do you trust them so much that you don't have a fire extinguisher in the house? After all, you don't need to rely on yourself when you can call the authorities, right?

I'm sure this will only lead them to tell me that a gun is nothing like a fire extinguisher but it's a start. Whatcha think?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

How long will it take the Police to get here in an emergency?

- Uhhh like 10 minutes.

How long is one round of boxing?

- Uhhh 3 minutes.

And you don't get a rest period after every 3 minutes do you?

- Ummm I guess not.

Correction:

"OVERVIEW OF THE BOOK: Do the police owe a duty to protect you from criminal attack? In MOST (emphasis added) of the United States, the answer is "no." In fact, in most cases the police do not even have to respond to your emergency 911 call."

Not in "most" of the US do police not have to respond, its ALL of the US. Supreme Court has ruled on this several times. No such personal protection obligation exists, only a general responsibility.

Unarmed people baffle me.

Response here is right around 5 minutes, I am proud and thankful for that service.

That *is* good, relatively speaking... but it's still 4:59 too long to keep people safe.

FWIW, I've done that "waiting for the police" thing with an anti. Ten minutes of me staring at him, not moving or talking, felt like hours. Dunno if I've convinced him to at least keep something at home, if not on him, but it did make him think. For once.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

GlockGirl, when you've been here awhile you'll notice that for many of us, there is no "if." :)
The question is, which anti will we talk to today, and will we make them cry? (That's not really fair because I've only made one cry, and I swear it wasn't my fault. She was just overwhelmed with fear for what I was doing to The Children.)

:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

When I use to work nights and we lived in a questionable part of Omaha, I use to tell my wife if someone was breaking in call 911 and say the house is on fire.
The fire department has a quick arriving time, the police don't!
There is one story that happened a few years back with a naked man trying to break in a womans home. She dialed 911 and they said they'd be right out.
She ended up calling them 3 more times.
The guy fell asleep on the front porch a half an hour later.
It took the police an hour to get there.
Omaha is not that big of a town. They said they were busy and had to prioritize the calls.
The local news media buried the story.
he local news media buried the story.

Here in Atlanta today, there was an equipment failure that took down the 911 systems for jurisdictions that account for 20-30% of the population of metro Atlanta (the actual city boundaries are pretty small).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Equipment failure leads to 911 shutdown

Several 911 systems suffered a temporary failure Friday morning, when some equipment at a central office failed. Bell South says a router went out of service in the Forest Park central office for about 12 minutes. The router directs 911 calls to the caller's home counties. As a result, 911 was not operating in Gwinnett County, DeKalb County, Douglas County, Douglasville and Forest Park for a short time. Emergency callers either got dead air or busy signals. The malfunction also meant phone company customers in Forest Park could not call anywhere outside the city.

Bell South spokeswoman Lynn Bress says technicians rebooted the equipment to get it operating again. Bress says they have no reason to believe the malfunction will happen again, but they have investigators on the job to see exactly how the problem occurred.

12/10/99 12:54:20 PM
[/quote]

"But the police will protect you! Why do you need a gun!?"

JimR

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited December 11, 1999).]

I would advise everyone to educate themselves about the police and fire departments that have jurisdiction in their area, and learn what communications centers they are dispatched from. Once you do that, find out what their 7 digit emergency number is, so you can call them when 911 isn't working. Also remember that 911 is just a telephone system, subject to less of a failure rate than a regular phone system. 911 is not the police or fire departments (although it may be admistered by police or fire in certain jurisdictions), it's just a convienient to remember number to dial when you need police or fire. When the 911 operator answers, the name and address and phone number of the person who gets the phone bill is dispayed on a computer screen. Be prepared to be asked the address. We always verify it, for various reasons. The 7 digit emergency number I mentioned above works just as well, providing you can talk and give your location.

Don't say your house is on fire if you need the police. Once the fire department arrives to find a crime in progress, they will be out of there faster than you can say "faster than." And they won't be rescuing anyone before they leave.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Oh I don't know about that, guys showing up on trucks with sirens blasting, guys running around with axes in their hands, that's alot better than a complete no-show by the police.
And that happens all the time!

Well it's not really guys running around with axes in their hands. It's one truck showing up, maybe one person getting out to make a size-up, determining that there is no fire, but in fact a crime in progress, and thus cancelling all other trucks, and then leaving the area. Sirens? Maybe during the day. Many times at night, when there is no traffic, the fire department runs without sirens.

Do you really want to put firefighters in more danger than they already face? Do you really want to put them in danger of assault? That's not their job. I've got to tell you, if I had anything to say about it, someone reporting a fire when their was actually a crime in progress would be going to jail for false reporting.

nebob, you know not of what you speak.

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited December 11, 1999).]

I feel 911 is a tool, just like my gun is a tool. Combine these two tools with common sense and you may just survive. I think across the board LEOs do make a big effort to respond in a timely fashion. They are not obligated by law to protect you, however I feel most would personally do all they could, go above and beyond to help you out in an emergency situation. I Do not think the police should be responsible for YOUR personal safety. If YOU make ME totally responsible for your personal saftey I will institute measures to ensure that. If you can not think for youself enough to defend yourself than you do not need firearms. You would probably just hurt yourself anyway. I will come by an inspect your house to make sure it is safe. I will stop you and inspect your person and vehicle. No need for the BOR if YOU make ME responsible. Individual freedom requires individual responsibility.

Later
Daren

Back