Devil's Advocate for.......Sig 239

sgoeing

I am looking for any faults in the Sig 239. It is one of my final choices for my new ccw. I don't want to miss any problems anyone has with using it as a concealed carry gun. Please list any problems you have had or know of. I am also triing to decide which caliber.
Thanks
Michael

I love my Sig P239. No problems so far. 100 percent reliable, very accurate and excellent trigger. The only "fault" I can think of is only having 8 rounds in the magazine.

I have shot the 239 in 9mm.40 and 357 sig.All shoot very well.They only fault I could find was the muzzle blast on the 357 sig was little rough.Other then that I haven't heard of any bad things about the 239.All calibers are very accurate.

Mine's been 100% reliable, eats anything, very accurate, and the trigger's like butter (took a couple hundred rounds, but now, so nice). It gives up a couple rounds in capacity to the Glock, but it's flatter, easier to conceal, and full size grip makes it much nicer to shoot IMO. Neither's a bad choice, go with what fels best to you. Good luck, M2

I have a Sig P239 in .40. The gun has been accurate and reliable for me. I would say it has some disadvantages, including:

1) It is overly large, compared to my Kahr K40. The Kahr is thinner, smaller, easier to conceal and carry.

2) The bore axis is high, giving extra muzzle flip.

3) It is DA/SA. I'm not a fan of DA/SA -- I prefer a gun which has a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot, i.e., SA, DAO, or striker-fired. This is a religious issue, however. Either you like it or you don't.

4) The controls are laid out differently than most guns. In particular, the slide stop is the rear-most control lever. In most semi-auto guns, the slide stop is farther forward. If you change from gun to gun, this may be something you could fumble under stress.

5) The 239 feels unbalanced and top-heavy in my hands.

The 239 is a good gun. But I carry my Kahrs -- my 239 lives in the safe. YMMV.

M1911

Absolutely superb in 9mm.

Needs the Hogue finger groove soft rubber grips to improve the grip dimensions and "re-balance" the gun's top heavy stance.

100% reliable, and soooooo accurate. It's a peach, buy it.

Mike H

sgoeing
I have a P239 in .357 Sig. I concur with the previous posts concerning the reliability, quality, and accuracy of the pistol. I, like Mike H., installed a set of Hogue Monogrips. The factory grips just did not provide enough control shooting the .357 Sig.
I highly recommend the purchase, outstanding Sig quality in a compact and reasonably priced package.

Its my carry piece in .40 cal.

First thing to do...as others have stated ..chunk the factory grips and go with the Hogues...it makes the whole gun feel better...looks cooler too.

Exellent accuracy.

Never had a problem with it. Period.

I tend to favor the .40 over the .357 sig, as ammo is more available and cheaper than the .357.

If you cant do it with 8 rounds of .40, you should have had a shotgun first.

A few things to add.

You may not like the flat front strap of the P239. It took me some getting used to. The Hogue grips solve that, but they are very "sticky" under clothing and you may find them unsuitable for concealed carry.

If you have big hands, a speed reload may cost you a little flesh on your strongside pinky. This is true with other compacts, btw.

As some of the others have stated, do replace the factory grips with Hogues. Mine is .357 SIG and have been perfect in functioning, and delivers superb accuracy within reason.
The thing I do not like is that compared to many other compact pistols, the SIG 239 is huge. There are smaller guns available in 9mm, 40 and 357. IMO, the 9mm 239 is way too big. If you have to have the 239, buy one in the larger calibers, this is where the 239 shines.

I've got the p239 in 357 sig. Nice gun, accurate, handles well but I do agree with beemerb, the muzzle blast can make you flinch sometimes when you think to long about it.
b.

I have a P239 in .40 S&W and can't think of anything I dislike about it. Like another great all-around handgun,
the Ruger GP-100, you can nitpick about details all you want
but you would be hard pressed to find it's equal in performance and value.

Back