Devil's Advocate for......Glock 26

sgoeing

I am looking for any faults in the Glock 26. It is one of my final choices for my new ccw. I don't want to miss any problems anyone has with using it as a concealed carry gun. Please list any problems you have had or know of.
Thanks
Michael

I like my Glock 26 very much: very low felt recoil. 100 percent reliable, 10+1 round capacity.

Only fault with the G26 is less accuracy than the Sig 239. But, for a carry gun you don't need it to be a tackdriver anyway.

I haven't had any problems with mine either. Mine IS a tack driver out to about 15 yards, which is what is necessary in a sub compact pistol. If you feed it right, and keep it clean, the G26 should give you a lifetime of service. :D

I think you'll like the Mini-Glock

I have a G27, the .40 caiber model. For some strange reason, I have had more than a few people tell me that their 26/27 models are their most accurate Glocks. It sounds strange, even silly. How can a round from a shorter barrel be more accurate than from a longer barrel in the same caliber? All I know is this. The first time I fired my 27, the first shot went into the "X" ring at 21 feet. I was impressed.

Kentucky Rifle

Devil's advocate - OK. It's a little wide for such a compact gun. It's "safe-action" trigger mandates a holster carry. It's trigger is different from a traditional DA/SA or SA. Fully loaded, it's a little heavy for it's compactness. That's about the only negative things I can think of, and they are not all that negative.

Glock 26

I have a Glock 26 which was one of the run that had a faulty recoil spring assembly, which broke at 400 rounds. I called Glock and wrote them a letter, and they sent me a total of three new springs. My dealer then gave me a couple more, so I have a lifetime supply. Glock then threw in a lifetime warranty for my trouble. All in all, great customer service and a minor problem fixed. Another thousand rounds have gone downrange with no problems. It's accurate (1 inch groups at 12 yards) and the recoil is mild even with +P loads. A spare pre-ban 15 round magazine is also nice to have for backup.

I must admit, though, that the real reason I like my 26 so much is that it's so ugly I can treat it pretty rough without fear of scratches or damage.
Good Shooting, Coydog

The G26 is a pretty bad handgun! It is too fat (not like the P11) and it doesn't have enough grip (not like the P9). The Glock trigger it TERRIBLE. It feels like you're holding on to a rock!

However, it is what I've chosen to carry. Even with these significant problems, it's still one of the best small CCW guns out there FOR ME. I just wish Glock had made it as small as a Kel Tec P11!

I think the claims that the Glock 26/27 are more accurate than their larger brethern are based on exceeding lower expectations of a smaller gun rather than anything to do with the physics of the gun.

However, confidence is important. If you feel that you shoot better with a 26/27 then it may become a self fullfilling prophesy.

The Glock 26 is a fine gun. Reliable and accurate. Plenty of capacity in a relatively small gun. It does have a couple drawbacks, however.

1) like all Glocks, it has that mushy, creepy Glock trigger that goes "sproing" when it finally breaks. Yuck. They can be mastered with enough practice, but it will take practice. I'm spoiled by 1911s.

2) It's quite wide because of the double stack. So it's too big for most pockets. I can fit my Kahr MK9 in the front pocket of my jeans using a pocket holster. I can't do the same with a Glock 26.

3) As someone else mentioned, you will need to carry it in a holster that covers the trigger guard.

M1911

My choice as a carry gun, too. Change the sights asap...luminous or not, at least get metal sights. My high cap G19 backup mag wears an A and G grip extender. Keeps the hicap from shifting around in the gun and makes the gun kinda cute, too...

I have a Glock 26 that has been totally reliable and carry it often. Had a 27 too. Good gun, but I can get 9mm free from PD. With proper ammo, the 9 will do the job with less recoil too. If you carry in an ankle holster or inside the waistband, I would recommend the 8lb. NY Trigger for added
peace of mind. Also it is absolutely necessary to get rid of the plastic sights. They front sight wears badly after several presentations from the holster. Mine has Trijicon night sights. Sometimes I'll carry a 17 round mag in it. Doesnt stick out too bad. Good Shooting!

sgoeing,

I bought my first Glock a few months ago, a G26 and I like it a lot.

Practical accuracy with a handgun is often more ergonomics. I agree with Kentucky Rifle about the G26 accuracy. The ergonomics of the G26 in my big hand, with grip extension, is excellent. I can shoot tighter groups with the G26 than with some of my other handguns even though the other guns are mechanically more accurate.

Years ago I tried a Glock trigger and hated it. I bought the G26 when I felt how smooth and steady the trigger was.

I have found three problems with the G26 but they do not deter my CCW use:
1) I have to be triple careful about a magazine going into battery. With a full mag and the slide at home I have to pound on the mag and/or push on the capture side of the mag release to fully capture the mag. If not fully captured, the mag falls out with the first shot.
2) How can you release the mag with one hand? The mag release plunger is the width of the grip. I cannot press on one side with my right thumb while my right hand holds the gun. One side of the hand is pushing against the other! I have to use my left hand to eject the mag while holding the G26 in a non-firing position with my right hand. Since I use the G26 for CCW and don't carry a spare mag (low crime zone) I don't need to do a fast reload.
3) Magazine disassembly is very difficult.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

I carry one alot. Not alot of Devil's Advocation above. I have a good selection, but when I move soon to become a neighbor of George Helser in the great state of AZ, it will be what I use in my CCW course. At the range I go to here in CT, they don't allow drawing and firing from the concealed position, but with the gun at my side, and firing quickly from 25 feet, I can hit the x ring consistently. I think you're making a wise choice. I have added Trijicon sights, Pearce grip extension, and a factory extended slide catch lever to round out the functionality to my liking.

Back