Devil Dog Arms 1911 thoughts?

riggins_83

I saw a Devil Dog Arms 1911 Commander at my LGS. Hadn't heard of them, did some research, somewhat mixed reviews. Appear to be a lot of 3rd party parts, cast frames. Any experience on their 1911s?

I hadn't heard of them until I discovered them by accident at the SHOT Show either last year or the year before. They didn't follow up on requests for more information after the show so I can't add anything to what you already [don't] know.

I have no experience with them, but I like how their 1911s look. There are some reviews on YouTube, one by Mrgunsngear, who is a member here. He had issues with polymer-coated rounds in a 9mm 1911, but no issues with normal rounds. From what little I've read, you can expect service-grade accuracy. There are some posts on another board that Devil Dog Arms (DDA) said no 1911 left the premises unless it shot under 2.5 inch groups at 20 yards. An article in American Rifleman said the writer got 2 to 2.5 inch groups from a rest at 20 yards from a pistol with 3.5 inch barrel in cold conditions. Using these two metrics, a 50-yard group would be between 5 to 6.25 inches. Everything I've seen indicates the guns have excellent triggers.

You may be interested in the fact the original founder, Joe Lucania, admitted to Stolen Valor and the company shut down for a time. When it re-opened, it was apparently by the investor group who outed Lucania and he evidently is not associated with the company according to this article.

Based on their website pics, I'd say the beavertails are not well blended, and it's weird to see a front strap that's checkered, but not extended to meet an undercut trigger guard.
Pricing isn't bad, if the $1200 retail is marked-down appropriately. Very crowded market, so they'd better do something extremely well to distinguish themselves.

Back