Detonics mk-6 pro-model 45

Hightower,

Geeeez--you made me register on TFL just to answer your question. :) "Hello" to all the TFL members, while I'm at it.

Anyway--my thoughts on the Detonics MK VI... I've had one since 1982. It's the only semiauto handgun I've owned (other than a Glock 27) that has NEVER jammed with ANYTHING I've fed it (crappy reloads, semi-wadcutters, etc.). Feed reliability was obviously a major concern with the folks in Seattle when they made the Detonics--smoothed feed ramp, widened ejection port, etc. Features-wise, I think the only differences between the Mark V and VI models are that the VI has a polished stainless slide (vs. matte) and comes with fully adjustable rear sights. If you decide to buy, make sure your Detonics comes with THREE rear sights for elevation (the included Allen wrench would be nice also). Frankly, I've never had to mess with windage, and I've always kept the tallest sight on, because the pistol shot low for me otherwise.

I had 2 problems with my VI. The slide stop on mine was slightly malformed, and wouldn't always engage the slide when the mag emptied. Detonics sent me a new one. Also, the screw on the captive recoil spring assembly would loosen after a while of shooting--a bit of Loctite took care of that permanently.

Be aware that all the chopped Detonics lose about 1" of sight radius because they put the rear sight forward and angle the slide behind it in a gentle slope (presumably to facilitate cocking with a quick thumb-swipe?). It is still a very accurate piece for its size. With its hefty 29-oz weight and 3-spring assembly, recoil is not an issue.

With its polished slide, the Detonics competes as the PRETTIEST gun I own, for what that's worth.

Well--that's all the thoughts I have at the moment. I hope you decide to buy, because the Detonics are a great bit of history, and they deserve nice homes! Good luck in your decision. -- JFrame

You have the option to get a Detonics?
Get it!

History, Art, Sex Appeal, all rolled into a damn fine defensive handgun.

If you have not noticed - all the new custom chopped .45s in the Detonics size all have the rear sight where John Browning put it. Detonics moved that sight forward for some reason that I do not know... I think its for concealment purposes. With the sight moved forward the distance between the butt and the top of the slide there at the end is reduced - maybe making it easier to conceal? Make it easier to remove that retaining plate. I dont know, just guessing. Probably just to give it a distinct look. It worked.

Detonics was Far ahead of its time.
Not just with its small .45 - but with its hot caliber .451 Detonics! Look at whats going on with things now... .45 Super, .45 SMC... all doing what Detonics did years ago.
If Detonics came out 5 years ago - They would have rode a tidal wave.

According to a review of the Combat Master written by Jeff Cooper in 1974, the forward-set rear sight was to facilitate thumb-cocking. A police department that was considering a volume purchase thought the gun should be cocked on the draw. Either that department bought a lot of guns, or Detonics just liked the distinctive appearance. Although the reduced sight radius might make long-range accuracy problematical (I managed 2-for-4 at 75 yards in an IDPA match), at short range the sight picture seems rock solid and in focus. The only parts in the gun that are not standard 1911, or otherwise obtainable are the recoil spring assembly. Unfortunately, the guide rod and reverse plug are the parts that take a beating in my gun.

Gotta Love those Combat Masters. I have had my MKVI for over 10 years and the MKI for 8. Both of these I bought from the original owners and they have been great guns. The prior owner of the MKVI had a Bianchi "Askins Avenger" holster which I use to carry the MKVI in with my CCW.

View

View

Back