Detonics Combat Master

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
There is a Detonics Combat Master - you guys remember those. They are chopped down .45s that have a funky rear sight moved forward.
One of the first - if not THE FIRST super small .45s.
I found one that look to be in good shape for $350.00. The grips need to be replaced as this stainless model looks to have been carried for a long time. The grips are worn almost smooth. It had a good feel to it and functioned well.
Anyone know anything about them?
Is hammerbite usual with it?
350 a good price? I think it is - They were over 1000 new I remember. Whats a Detonics going for usually?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

George, The 1988 Shooters Bible lists this gun at....

MKI matte stainless, fixed sights $671.95
MK VI Polished stainless, adj. sights $755.95

Joefo

------------------

I had one a few years ago.Never had a problem with hammer-bite or anything else for that matter. Mind you, I don't have what you'd call big hands.Wish to hell I'd kept it!

If they are good enough for John Rourke thats good enough for me!!!

They are excellent weapons, and at that price depending on where you've found one I'd jump all over it.

If you dont want it drop me a e-mail with the details :) :) :) :)

The few times I've shot a Combat Master, hammer bite and slide trails have not been a problem. By the way, Brownells stocks several parts for these guns, including new Metalform magazines and the AFS TECH Slim Tech Grips. They also have a kit of the non-standard parts, such as the hammer strut and sear spring. About the only Combat Master-specific parts that they don't stock are the barrel and guide rod assembly.

I think the Combatmasters are great. I have 2 of them right now, a blued MKI and a S/S MKVI. I have large hands but I don't have any problems with hammer bite like I do with other small pistols.
Daniel, Storm Lake Machine offers replacement barrels for the CM and Wolff has new springs for them.

NJW

[This message has been edited by NJW (edited January 04, 2000).]

Greetings, all. I owned one of these years ago. It was stainless. No complaints. It was reliable and printed where the sights indicated. I think that I remember it having a very nice trigger pull. Best.

Now - You guys are talking about the super compact little number right?
Thats the one I am considering... in Stainless. Officer's Mags dont fit in it... I am wondering what others readily available would fit.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

George: Like we said above, Brownells carries Metalform 6rd mags for the Combat Master. Moreover, I am getting reports that the Wilson Sentinel's 6rd mag will fit as well.

For $350 that is a very good price. I bought one when I lived in Washington. I went to the plant and spoke with the founder/owner, Sid Woodcock. This was in 1980 and I still have it. It is 100% reliable and very accurate. Very fine/clean trigger. I love mine and think you will too.

Back