Detective Spl. Defense Loads

GASCHECK

Knowledgeable Friends:
I need some advice for a defense load for my Detective Special. I have read dire warnings about firing +P ammo. I note that Hornady has such ammo and so does Federal. Hornady has no e-mail spot and Federal did not reply. I guess their lawyers told them to shut up! It doesn't say anywhere if either offerings are +P. Thanks!
Gascheck

I have a sentimental 1928 Det Spl. - new to me. My intent is to enjoy and take care of it- It is handy and loaded as I type , though another firearm is on my hip, "better to have it and not need it" applies to having a 2nd, 3rd....HD gun .

My criteria for any firearm is ammo must work in firearm, and I want to know POA /POI.

My Detective Special likes a 158 gr load - or 148 gr Target wadcutters the best for POA/POI . This mirrors the experience of all the older Smith snubbies in my experience, J or K frame. This seems to be the way these guns were regulated at factory with sight systems.

MY preferred load is 158 gr standard pressure LSWC - HP's. I don't have / can't find the rest of Winchester ammo I put back. Mine is loaded with 158 gr LSWC , it is all about shot placment - this load goes where it should in my gun. Either load will keep all 6 on a playing card , over and over again....

had a friend who had one. i remember him mentioning that it was capable of handling +p ammo. his preferred load then were the 158gr so called "FBI" loads. also the 125gr federal nyclads were his preference in standard pressure loads.

too bad he sold it. was a very nice gun.

Hornady Custom JHP/XTP or Federal Hydro-Shock would have my vote any day for a defensive round for my .38 Spl. (which too cannot handle +p).

Federal's e-mail addy: prodserv@atk.com

Hornady's only e-mail is for their webmaster, as you already put. However, I did find a handy toll-free number for their company: 1-800-338-3220.

Hope that helps.

I'm using the Hornady Custom JHP/XTP 158-gr. (non +P) in mine and it shoots great.

Matthew Webb
Franklintown, PA

I have an Agent, an aluminum-framed short-butted Detective Special that was made in the '70s. Colt okayed the limited use of +Ps in these later guns, so I use the 158 gr LSWCHP +P load.

I don't know what I'd do if I were limited to standard pressure loads - probably go with wadcutters as others have suggested.

Knowledgeable Friends:
Well, the bottom line with the load question is I would like to use Federal Premium Personal Defense loads. If you look at Federals website, the description of them is quite impressive. I don't know if they are +P. Somewhere else I read that firing +P would result in probable hearing loss, temporary flash blindness and damage to the gun. It is now loaded with Cor-Bons, and I had Glasers in before. For years I kept it loaded with the old round nosed police loads. The gun is from the '60's. Time to buy an SP101? Maybe I read too much! :o Thanks!
Gascheck

To answer a few PM's , figure others might want to know...Mr. Erick Gelhaus, provided links that explain the reasoning.

Mine would be loaded with 148 gr Target wadcutters, I am either out/ can't find them. Gremlins have re-arranged my ammo - again. :)

IN my experiences The Winchester 148 gr Target WC shot best for my guns. [POA/POI] Winchester also had LESS muzzle flash than other brands.

I highly recommend whatever you try , try it during low light / no light. Fast follow up shots are important to me, [ shot placement] I'd rather get hits with a standard pressure 148 gr Target Wadcutter , than to miss due to recoil on follow ups and muzzle flash with a +P design.

Shooters:
After reading the above thread, I finally remembered that the Rifleman had an article on wadcutter defense loads. I found it in my big notebook, but when I copied it, I stupidly did not manage to get the date on the page. :o Anyway,the article by William C. Davis includes a suggestion of loading a 115 grain wadcutter in front of 4.8 grains of Bullseye. He also has a chart with pictures of inverted hollow-based wadcutters after firing. He does not recommend them. He wasn't happy with the expansion of W-W +P 110gr JHP loads either.
Gascheck.

Back