Detective Spec. Broken Firing Pin. Questions.

Belial

Inactive
I have a Colt Detective Special that was made back in '76. Recently while dry firing the firing pin snapped off. I should note that it is one of the old style pinned hammers. I had some spent shell casings in the cylinder which I thought would do as sort of a make shift snap cap. Perhaps not the smartest thing to do but it was done. The gun has been dry fired many times over the years without the empty shell casings in the cylinder. Could they have been the culprit or is it just years of use?

After a few blows, spent primers provide no cushion for a firing pin blow. FWIW, I long ago got some cylindrical nylon (like binder posts) in two sizes, which with a bit of trim can be put into a primer pocket. I cut this as needed and it works well, providing a better cushion than rubber or most plastic snap caps. I don't know if you can still get the stuff or not, but try a plastic shop.

The firing pin may have broken simply from old age and repeated snappings, or may even have been defective in the beginning. They are easy to replace. Most Colt DAs that do not have frame mounted firing pins have firing pins pinned in the hammer. Unlike S&W, though, Colt polishes the pin so that it is nearly invisible.

Jim

One other question I neglected to mention is that is there any way to tell if your firing pin is about to snap with pinned hammers? What should you be looking for? Thanks

Back