destroyer carbine

Had one for years until a buddy talked me out of it. They're cute but not so practical. Had the bolt face on mine opened a bit and shot 38 Supers in it. Some say the Super is too much pressure but mine worked fine with factory level ammo. But what do you do with a bolt action 9mm carbine?

Kind of fun, about like having an oversized 22LR, only more expensive to feed. 100-ish yds range, kind of crude sights, but fun in a sort of way. Not practical at all, but having a centerfire carbine that has some real bite to it is different.

9mm Largo is a handloader's only cartridge, which is disappointing.

I would love one in 9x19, though.

It seems like a lovely rimfire alternative.

Somehow, rimfire is still only available in a box or two or at scalper's prices around here. The local gun shop has pyramids of Thunderbolts/Golden Bullets around $.13/round after tax. That's not far off from the cheapest 9mm.

But what do you do with a bolt action 9mm carbine?

Shoot it! :D

My Dad just turned one over to me. It's not in bad shape. The bore isnt even pitted from that damn ammo, but the bolt has some slop in it. I'm hoping its just the bolt and nothing else. it is dead accurate for what it is. I'm diggin' it.

Maybe a decent gun/cartridge combo for Javelina. Maybe turkey. I read elsewhere that people bemoan the lack of a .327 carbine. I can only imagine that they would have the same range of uses.

street corner

I pulled a detail in Puerto Rico about 25 years ago and saw several local police types standing about on street corners.........holding a bolt rifles that appeared to be "Destroyers". Never did get a close look at one.

I have a Destroyer carbine and it is a real fun rifle, deadly accurate at 100 yds. I have killed Texas hogs with my Destroyer and FMJ ammo. The Carbine makes a nice companion for my many Star pistols in Largo.

Someone should make a repro in 9x19mm!

Don't know why, but I've been wanting a 9x19 bolt gun. Nobody makes them though, except one or two custom outifts who modify different guns for a lot of money.

I would be up for a 9mm bolt carbine. What a sweet ranch/camp gun that would be. Make mine a 9x19 also!

But what do you do with a bolt action 9mm carbine?
You rebarrel it to 9x19 and screw a silencer on the end. :D

It's fun having a pellet rifle that shoots 147 gr. "pellets" at 1000 fps.

photo_zpsf1a97a5c.jpg

https://youtu.be/23Hr_6R-MdY

The Destroyer really didn't offer much over the El Tigre.

Half the capacity, less powerful, slower. Yeah... I'd rather have a .44 lever for defense than some 9mm bolty.

Great lead bullet shooters for milsurplus plinking fun. Kinda like bowling when you hit a squirrel. Can be loaded with 38 super data if you want to push them but not any farther. Can have a 3mm ring installed in the chamber and will fire 9mm luger ammo. You just need a caliper and lathe to make one out of steel so it will last and just snug in the chamber but still allow the bullet to pass through at around .357 inside diameter. Prefer Small rifle primers because small pistol primer cups get run through by the firing pin. Makes a great truck gun for a farm butcher. Way better than 22 mag on big bulls. Not hard to find brass at starline and can use 38 super dies or 9mm luger dies to reload. Uses all common 9mm, 40, 45 ACP powders. Can sling a 115grain 9mm at 1450fps, no problem with 800X or blue dot or similar.

I have three destroyer carbines at this time so you can tell I like them.

The 9 mm largo cartridge is a good round for what it is.
Set the barrel back if you prefer the Luger round.
Or you can Re-barrel to the .30 Mauser or .30 Tokarev.
7.62 x 25 cases both feed in the Largo magazines
A snappy little round.

Also .45 ACP is an option; a 1911 magazine fits right in.
Just need to modify where the mag catch fits.

What’s not to like?

William Alexander

Destroyers are lots of fun to shoot. 9mm largo is available available if you look around, including currently loaded hollow points. The ammo isn't really cheap, but you'll shoot fewer than you would with a semi auto.

"What do you with a bolt action 9MM carbine?"
Retrieve ALL your brass for reloading.
I have a Destroyer-still haven't fired it.
I like the idea of a 9MM carbine with interchangeable barrels for 380 ACP, 9MM, 9x23, 38 Super, 9MM Largeo, etc.

Back