Desprately seeking Cans?

hube1236

I have been directed numerous times toward a 12 gage 3 - 3 1/2" Magnum type gun. I fully expect to buy my first bird gun (ever- no rifles, only 1 pistol) within the month. My uncle offered to lend me his 16 gage (used for bird hunting since the 60's with his Dad) for trial. I almost felt disappointed.

I have been told that I can ONLY use 12 gages for duck and Quail (not Danny Mr FBI). So what does one use 16, 20 and 410 for, shooting cans with my daughter?

It depends on the mission, Hube. I killed my first 15 or so Canada Geese with a 16 ga.

A properly sized 16 ga comes in at most of a lb lighter than a similiar 12 ga. And the oz of shot the 16 throws best is good medicine for most upland game.

Same for the 20. Pheasants over a good close working dog are a can do with a 7/8 oz shot of 6s and a tighter choke than a 12 ga can get away with. Dove are a gas with a nice 20 ga.

As for the 410, I regard it as a bit of a toy, not usable for much at all. Do like the 28 ga, at close ranges it's outstanding for grouse, and other small bird,small shot,close range situations.

On the heavy end, the only thing the 3 1/2" 12 ga is good for is selling new shotguns and ammo to folks with good shotguns already.

If you really NEED to send two oz of something downrange,the 10 ga is a better choice.

I recommend one of each, for starters(G)....

WELL IT WILL BE SAID DIFFERENTLY BY EVERY PERSON,BUT HERE IT IS. 10GA GREAT GOOSE GUN AND IN SOME INSTANCES PHEASANT.
12GA. GREAT ALL AROUND GUN FROM DOVE,QUAIL,DUCK,PHEASANT,GOOSE,ETC.

16GA. OUTDATED IN THE RETAIL AREA OF FIREARM SALES. GREAT ROUND BUT NOT AS POPULAR TODAY AS YESTERDAY. :)

20GA. STILL OK DUCK/DOVE GUN GIVING USER LESS RECOIL USED "MAINLY" BY YOUTH OR WOMEN
I SAY THIS LIGHTLY BECAUSE I STILL USE MY 20GA. 870 QUITE OFTEN JUST LESS KNOCKDOWN POWER.ALSO A GREAT CHOICE FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING(ie:RABBIT/SQUIRREL)

410 GREAT YOUTH OR BEGINNING FEMALE LOAD DUE TO THE LACK OF RECOIL. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE (WE HAVE ALL PROBABLY STARTED WITH THIS LOAD). ALSO A GREAT RABBIT/SQUIRREL LOAD AND CAN STILL BE USED FOR DOVE. ALTHOUGH NOT A TOP CHOICE.
ANYWAYS HOPE THIS HAS HELPED.

GOD BLESS.

I hunt dove & quail every year with my Win mod 42 .410 pump. Using anything bigger seems like overkill.

Intel6, chances are you're an experienced shooter and good shot who knows the limits and doesn't do Hail Mary shots. In expert hands, the 410 can be used for some game hunting. Not by many,tho...

Hi hube1236
IMO
You =could= buy a 12 ga. if you really want to buy a new gun, but the 16 ga. was always called the "sweet 16." Kind of like a 12 ga. lite. Maybe the 16 is more timely than we think. ;)

I'd borrow it and use it for as long as he lets you. My first shotgun after a .22/.410 was a 12 ga side by side hammer gun. We "thought" it was safe and used light loads. I used it a lot. One time I was shooting at red winged blackbirds with Dad and we decided to trade guns. He had a 12 ga. model 10 Rem pump.We'd just had a flight finish coming over. Next thing I hear is KABOOM! and Dad blew a hole in the ground in front of him. He said he was shooting at an apple. I knew what had happened. You had to learn which trigger went with which hammer when you were lowering the hammer.

Dad got rid of that gun after that and a neighbor lent me his 20 ga. L.C. Smith. I used that for a couple of years 'till I think the guy thought I thought it was mine and took it back.I was hoping... It was sweet. after that Dad bought a 12 ga. Rem 11-48 and gave me the Model10. I used it up 'till around 1988 when I started buying specialized guns.

During the time I was borrowing or given those shotguns I bought other guns.Just seemed to "make do" with free shotguns.

Thanks, Charlie. Of course, the proper way to lower the hammers is to open the action first,then thumb them down with no possibility of firing...

Originally posted by Dave McC:
Thanks, Charlie. Of course, the proper way to lower the hammers is to open the action first,then thumb them down with no possibility of firing...

Doh! Homer Jr. here. ;)

I have 870's in 12 and 20. I use the 20 way more than the 12. It fits better and makes me do the right thing, like pick my shots and aim properly instead of just blasting away with the 12. i only use the 12 for turkey or deer. It feels unloved.

Cherish that 12 ga, Dread. An unloved 870 is a terrible thing(G)...

I've shot the 20 I got for the kids, even took a doe with it a coupla years back. There's little I do with the 12 I couldn't do with the 20, and it runs lighter.

Back