Designed load for .357 snubbie?

Torquemada

I have a Dan Wesson model 14-2 with 2.5" barrel. I've used a variety of .357 and .38spl ammo from different manufacturers. Since it has fixed sights, a short barrel, and I'm pretty new to shooting I don't expect great accuracy right now.

What is the "ideal" load for a 2.5" barrel in both calibers? I mean from an accuracy (hitting where it's aimed) standpoint, NOT 1-shot stops or knockdown power or <1 MOA at 1000 yards as it is used for paper-punching only. I'd like to know how much of a factor is my off-hand (why is it called that anyway, I hold it with my hands ON :p) aim and how much is the sight's fixed alignment. I've used:
158 LRN
130 FMJ
158 +P TMJ
125 +P JHP
110 JHP .357
158 JHP .357

Eventually, I'll either get a 4" barrel or acquire another revolver with a longer barrel and use this as an introductory revolver (a lot of my friends are now interested in shooting sports after they decided that I was the same guy they knew BEFORE, I didn't turn into a TV-militia wacko).

What kind of accuracy and groupings should I expect at 15/35/50/75 feet? (Indoor range markings). So far, I've killed four plastic and two conduit target holders, my wife has one plastic, and a fried has one conduit. If the SHTF and I'm attacked with a target holder, I'm VERY confident I can do one of those TV/movie shoot-the-weapon-out-of-the-attacker's-hand, but the person would be very safe:o
I do own other options for home defense (P95, P97, 10/22, SKS, Benelli Nova 12ga/28") that I'm competent with, so I'm not sweating this particular revolver too much...

"IDEAL"

Will require testing FROM YOUR GUN.
Suggest 158g weight, either caliber.

NO WAY of knowing mechanical accuracy of YOUR gun, but DW's are 'normally' very accurate. I would expect groups of under 2" at all listed distances, off-hand.

Or more practice LOL.

www.georgia-arms.com

i had composed a completely different answer until i realized that your distances were in feet instead of yards!!! so we're talking about 5/11.67/16.67 and 25 yards?

with the DW (with cylinder gap properly set and barrel nut tightened)firing DA, standing off hand, taking a good sight picture and starting with the 158gr .38 loading, i would expect
1. all shots touching at the first 3 distances
2. at least a 2" group at 25 yds

the fixed sight won't make a difference. don't make the mistake of "chasing your group", just take a consistent sight picture for each shot. treat each shot as a separate action from each preceeding and secesive shot

if the shots not striking at your point of aim bother you excessively, the DW is a great gun to have because the front sight is replacable. you can feel free to file them down or thin them to adjust your point of aim/point of impact.

Well, I've decided that next time I go to the range I'm gonna shoot the DW only and bring the others for anyone who goes with me, instead bouncing around between calibers and rifle/semiauto/revolver. That's probably what is hurting my improvement...

The price was right, FREE from my father-in-law along with some 1980's reloaded ammo. He said it was finicky - it often would FTF although there was a nice deep "ping" in the primer (with new factory ammo) around 50 rounds. I gave him a cartridge with THREE imprints before it fired! I took it apart (to see how it works:p ) and gave the mechanism a thorough cleaning and wiped everything down with CLP, tightened up and clearanced-checked the barrel (which I thought WAS already tight:( ) now it works fine 150+ rounds until everyone is done for the day.

I'll use .38/158 LRN exclusively for a while. Won't be using .357 until the outdoor range season (minimum 70 degrees, according to my wife).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you reload?

I shoot 146GR JSWC-HP, speer bullet in 38 and 357 cases. Shoots nice out of both my wifes gun and mine, both 3inch and under barrel lengths.

I got to ask a serious question....2" group at 25 yds from a snubbie? What have you been smoking? Sorry to be such a
Smart *ss...but I find this very surprising and misleading info.

Dan Wesson is the most accurate gun I have ever owned...stess relieved barrel....accurized from the factory....etc, etc, etc..
My 3" wouldnt do it from a rest......Not even if the gun was blessed and fired by a priest.....:D

Honestly, with my DW and my present snubbie.....they are not designed for a target gun....very up close and personal distances.
10 yds and closer is a good distance to practice from, due to the situations you will most likely have to use your snubbie in a defensive situation.....If you are doing even 3" at 10 yds with it
you are doing well IMO......

Or do I just need help with my snubbie shooting?

Shoot well

Last edited:
I would try the .38 Special, 148 grain wadcutter - very accurate in my gun.
Next would be the .38 Special, 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter, and the 158 grain round-nose lead.

For defense - 158 grain, .38 Special +P lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint.

Jacketed ammo is not accurate in my revolver. I use jacketed ammo mostly to blow the lead deposits out of the barrel after a shooting session, or when shooting indoors.

Eric....I think you need help with your snubbie shooting.
See the previous posts.

Sight picture
Hold sight picture through shot.
Each shot is it's own entity, shoot it as if it were the only one for the day.
With accuracy will come speed.

Sam

Sam, man...hmmmmm. I am seriously lucky to group 2" at 10-15 yds with my snubbie...357 ammo seems to be slightly more accurate than 38 target or +P stuff. I guess I have to go to work.....if I just had money for bullets....hmmmm!

Shoot well

Back