Design a new pistol......

If you were to design a new pistol, what features would you give it? Here is mine:

Caliber: Choice of .45 ACP or 9mm (.22 LR conversion kit comes standard with both calibers).

*Single action (cocked and locked)
*4 lb trigger pull
*5" barrel
*Easy disasembly (disasembles exactly like a Sig Sauer)
*All steel frame (option for stainless steel)
*NO grip safeties (that is one feature I dislike on 1911s)
*No magazine safeties (I dislike that feature on BHPs)
*Ergonomics similar to CZ 97B
*As accurate as possible without sacrificing reliability
*10 round capacity in both 9mm and .45 civilian versions(15 round 9mm capacity for LEOs)
*Inner frame rails (to decrease slide width)

The handgun I would love to have would be CZ-97B with
6.5-7" barrel (longslide) and target sights, with
.22 LR adapter (heavy barrel) of the similar slide length.
Possibly modified to handle .45 Super also...
That would be something special.

ok i'll play

caliber 357 sig/10mm/9mm/40auto

capacity 15-accepts g22 mags

inner frame rails-love those cz's

5 inch barrel

tenifer finish

ivory or wood grips standard

single action-cocked and locked

5 lb trigger

no creep

basically a bigger version of the cz75

comes with 10mm and 40 auto barrels-all you need to do to switch between each one is change the barrel-mags work for all (dreaming?)

three dot night sights with the front diff color

easy to reach slide release-that works as a slide release not just a slide stop

commander style hammer fired-with long wide tang that does not edge down into web of hands-like sigs

ambi safeties-wide, with good click to work, no grittyness in them-

shoots 2 inch groups at 25 yards

frontstrap 30 lpi

full dust cover

alloy frame-tested past 100,000 rounds no cracks
would accept polymer-if the transition areas are done a lot better than the wilson kz whatever, and the kimber-both of these guns look patched together

large trigger guard with slight knurl

not adverse to a grip safety, it just needs to be wide enough to not feel like it is sticking into hand like the 1911 does to me

again, basically a bigger cz75 with a better finish and better safeties in sa only with hicap mags that shoots powerful rounds well
am i asking too much?

Do wheelguns count?

How about something like the Raging Hornet, but in 223Rem?

PreserveFreedom,

You have the right idea! :)

.223 revolver to go with my AR!

Even my dad who isn't a fan of the .223 round bought a barrel for his Thompson Encore in that chambering.

Dream time...

Colt XS Alpha Elite

Basic design: Government Model with following "minor" changes: :D

Caliber 10mm auto
Titanium alloy frame/stainless steel slide
Ramped Target Match barrel
Full length steel guide rod
Dual recoil springs
Videcki speed trigger
Novak sights with Trijicon inserts
Extended tactical thumb safety
Beavertail grip safety
Skeletonized hammer
Arched stainless MSH, serrated
Serrated front strap
Double-diamond checkered Rosewood grips
2 9-round magazines
Test target (1.5"@25 yard accuracy guarantee)

A titanium colt mustang "pocketlite" in 9mm like the pocket nine,but single action.

Single stack Glock, narrow as a kahr, smaller less obvious trigger guard, beveled top of slide similar to steyr series, and a safety.

quality titanium/polymer derringer from NAA in .380.

Beretta 950BS in .22 LR.

Despite having been a physics major, I'm not much good with engineering, but here goes nothing anyway.

Heavy (from 4 to 4.5 pounds) .50 caliber automatic, 9 shot magazine, compensated 6 inch barrel. Wood grips with finger grooves and blue steel finish.

I would like a line of duty sized Kahr's in .40, .45, 10mm, and .357 Sig. I would want them to be single stacks and incorporate a redundant frame mounted 1911 style safety.

I would settle for a steel framed Ruger P97 with a manual safety.

I would want both guns to accept 1911 style grip panels for customization.

I would also like a 7 shot Ruger GP100 in .357.

I agree with l2a3!

Sig 210... all millied high quality stainless steel (rostfrei) with Sandard capacity for all or import it in the nuetered 8-10 round version.

Offer a model in DA as well ( for guys like me).

Offer in 9, 7.62x25 and .45.

Make it in U.S.A. and sell em' like hotcakes for 650 u.s.d. and up.

Here are my crazy ideas, for what they're worth:

-1- A long-recoil-operated pistol which is designed to be carried with the barrel+breechblock locked in the rearward position. While the gun would probably be "funny looking", it may be possible to reduce the difference between the overall-length-when-carried and the barrel length by an inch or two (the breechblock design would have to be a fair bit different from most semi-autos to avoid having it stick out the rear of the gun when locked back).

-2- A semi-bullpup pistol in which rounds are taken from the BACK of the grip magazine and then kicked up into the barrel using a mechanism somewhat like a typical shotgun. As above, the goal would be to reduce the difference between OAL and barrel length. While this variation on the theme would have some advantages over the above, in that OAL would be reduced when the gun was ready-to-fire, it would have the unfortunate side effect of raising the bore axis relative to the grip (since there would have to be space for a round to be taken out of the rear of the magazine).

-3- A semi-auto pistol, in either .22lr or .32acp, which can accommodate two 10-round magazines in the grip and automatically switch between them when one runs dry. Unlike most semi-autos which sense the presence of an empty magazine, I would design this one to detect the absense of a loaded one (so the action would lock back when both magazines were empty, one was empty and the other missing, or both missing). I would make the magazine-release button drop unloaded magazine(s) if any when pressed lightly, and drop loaded (or unloaded) magazines when pressed firmly.

Such a pistol would not only allow for 20 rounds of uninterrupted shooting, but would also allow for much better tactical reloading than current designs (since one could reload while one still had 11 rounds ready). I don't think such a design could be done in anything over .32acp without making the grip excessively wide, but in .22lr such a gun could be an ideal plinking pistol.

Back