Desert shooting

snubbyfan

Did a the trek in the desert today with a friend. Temp. was 60 degrees, no wind...perfect. It was a 5 mile round trip hike...I'm tired. Saw several jack rabbits and hawks flying overhead. Didn't want to shoot at them. Got in some good practice with my S&W snubby 638. Fired 50 rounds, double action, at 8x10" paper targets which were 10 yards away. Was able to score hits on about 80% of my trys. I'm definitely getting better with the snubby. Practice practice practice.Here's a pic of the terrain on the way out...it's mostly rolling, with some steep hills. Our destination was at the base of the mtns...top center.
Desert%206.jpg

A 5 mile hike?
You could maybe sell a few guns and buy a mountain bike.
Preferably one with a motor.
Beautiful country, though.
Shooting backstops in every direction, too.

Love that country - spent many months doing geology field work in Nevada and California. Question for you is why consider shooting hawks and jack rabbits while enjoying the hike and target shooting? Neither hawks nor jack rabbits are destructive pests so why think of destroying them?

Reminded of an distant acquaintance who enjoyed desert camping (motor home) and driving dune buggies chasing jack rabbits until they collapsed dead. He described it as "fun."

I enjoy the western deserts and try to maintain a clean environment. Even police spent brass and targets and leave "only footprints."

I believe Federal law protects hawks.
That is beautiful country.
Once my wife and I go full time RVing we plan to winter in AZ around the Tuson area.
I hope to find a spot in the desert to do a little rifle shooting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I would never shoot a hawk under any circumstance. Road runners get the same consideration.

I have to disagree about jack rabbits if the circumstances are right. Circumstances being I have the land owner permission to shoot them and land owner wants the population lowered. A great way to actually increase marksmanship skills at varying distances, shooting angles and everything else the jack rabbit can come up with. In far West Texas where I actually have the opportunity we shoot jack rabbits if the back stop is right but just watch cottontails run around and we move on, go figure:rolleyes:.

Back