Desert Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoinchgroup52

On Impulse I jsut bought a used Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. The gun is about 8 years old but appears to be in pristine condition. It is two toned, blue and chrome. Most importantly it has after market Millet adjustable sights and an after market adjustable match type trigger. This is one of
those that was made in Israel. Paid $835. Did I get a good deal or did I overpay???

It appears to be a fair deal. A brand new blue 44 Desert Eagle is about $799.

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Millet sights are actually an option on the DEP. I'm curious, since the MK VIIs (and XIXs) have adjustable triggers, does yours have a trigger stop? (Or is it a MK I?)

- Ron V.

------------------

It doesnt matter what you payed for it unless your planning on selling it.

The real question is does it shoot well - and can YOU shoot it well?

Now - take that sucker to the range and pump 50 rounds or more through it and give us a full report.

(I keep toying with the idea of getting one - its an on again off again thing.)

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I have owned a 44 DE since 1995. It is my favorite "stress" relief pistol. I had adjustable night sights installed at the factory, expensive, but the original sights were lacking for 50-100 yd work. It sits in my safe next to my HK P7, and Bullseye 45. It is a fine piece, enjoy.

BTW I shot both a 50AE and the 44 before deciding on the 44. These were both Israeli made MKVII's and the 50 was a jamamatic. The 44 is more reloader friendly too. Sorry for the length.

Huh...Well, I have put about 150 rounds through the .50AE and did get maybe 2 failure to fully lock but don't really think that's too bad.

I tell ya, I got the .44mag MKVII long ago when they offerred 14" barrels. I have seriously thought about putting a small bi-pod on it. Shooting that thing standing gets tiring after a while. The only really bad thing I can say about the DEPs are the distance from front strap to back. My thumb muscle in my palm gets sore after awhile due to reaching for the mag release, a long stretch.

- Ron V.

------------------

Ron, The 50 that I shot was an early model. Just as any pistol, may have needed work. You are right about getting tired holding it. The trigger reach is long, but manageable. They sure make short work of watermelons.

I really appreciate the replies, but would like to know more about the difference between the various model numbers. Anyway, to be quite honest, posting this reply can't hurt since it brings my quickly submerging message to the surface again. THANKS! twoinch.

The MK 7's were all Isreali (sp?) pistols. The reason you care about getting a Mark 7 pistols is that the trigger was improved (better action/pull). The Mark 7 50 A&E is interchangeable with current Mark 9's make in the USA by SACO in New York. The other Mark 7's are unique (you can't easily change a 44 to 357).

With the Mark 9's, the parts became more interchangeable, manufacture moved to the USA (SACO in New York), and all the previous refinements were retained.

New Mark 9's should carry about a $200 premium over Mark 7's in the same shape (NIB, slightly used, etc.). For my money, I think a Mark 7 is better deal, especially if you do not plan to convert from 357 to 44/50A&E.

As for price, well, it really depends on your local market. I don't think you got a screaming good deal but, you didn't get taken either. Again, valuation really depends on condition and where you live.

When I open my safe and reach for a gun I love to shoot, the D.E. MK 7 44Magnum is hard to resist :)

Enjoy it! You have a great pistol,
Sid
---
Tx FFL

Which version of the Desert Eagle .357 magnum pistol is the smallest? Do all Desert Eagles feed semi-jacketed hollow point bullets without problems?
THanks!

Ah...When Sid Post said Mark 9, he meant Mark 19.

The MkI (1) was the first, came out in .357mag., later in .41mag/.44mag (same bolt).

Updated with the MkVII (7). Improvements included extended slide spot, extended safety (an excellent improvement), and an (weight) adjustable trigger. The MkI can be retrofitted with the new componants. All MkIs and MkVIIs are made in Isreal.

As mentioned, the .50AE MkVII is identical to the MkXIX (19) which are made in the USA. Only differences between the MkVII and MkXIX, I think, is that the frame and slide of the XIX are slightly more robust to accommodate the .50AE. All barrels will have identical profiles for the .50AE/VII and XIX pistols.
.357mag and .44mag/XIX barrels will not fit in MkIs and MkVIIs. Changing the XIX from/to .44mag/.440CB/.50AE to/from .357mag will require changing the bolt, barrel, mags. Changing between .44mag, .440Cor-Bon, .50AE will require just a change in barrels and mags.

MkXIX barrels are limited to 6" and 10". Early MkVIIs were available in 14" also. I think these were made to compete in Unlimited Silhouette.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited September 25, 1999).]

I have both the .50AE and the .357. I don't reload so I have been shooting the Samson factory .50 and it works great. Never had a jam (but costly at $1.25 a shot).

The .357 is very sensitive to ammo. I had a lot of problem feeding fully jackted Fiocchi, jamed every round. But PMC gas check seems to work o.k.

The GRIP is hugh and the pistol is heavy. Anyone tried the 10 or 14" bbl for .357 and can share experience?

I have owned my DEP Mk VII .50 AE for about five years now. I have never had a single jam or misfeed. I also recently bought a .440 CorBon barrel; since the round is based on the .50 case, the barrel was the only thing that had to be changed to convert from one to the other -- even the magazines are the same.
If I remember the literature correctly, the 41/44 Mk VII could be converted from .44 to .41 by changing the barrel and magazine. It could also convert to .357 by switching to lighter recoil springs.
While the DEP does have an extremely long grip (trigger to backstrap), enough practice can easily accomodate the ergonomics. A firm support is necessary, however, to allow the gas operating system to cycle properly. A weak stance (not bracing the gun firmly enough) will very quickly jam the DEP...I'll guess that a lot of jams are operator error, rather than a flaw in the pistol.

Finally, after receiving proper paperwork, I picked up my 44 mag DEP MK VII. This gun is circa 1989 with ss frame. One thing I noticed is that the finish on the ss frame bears alot of machine marks. The slide appears to have a much finer finish. Is this typical of the earlier model Desert Eagle pistols?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back