desert eagle

ditty

Inactive
ok. Besides hollywood greatness, is the desert eagle that great of a gun? I know its big and intimidating but does that account for the absurd price? I know its definitely not for self defense so is it for target shooting or more for collecting or just testoserone highs?

Just wanted to know what the experts thought

thanks

I'm not an expert but I do own one in 357 and it's a lot of fun too shoot. I do agree that the price is high but if all my guns had to have a specific function my collection would only be a rifle, shotgun, and 1 or 2 handguns.

As far as self defense it is not really practical for carry but I don't think a BG would scoff if you pointed one at his "10 ring". ;)

The DE absolutly worthless, too dam big, but I want one anyway. It is one of the guns that most people want for their collection but they all say the only thing it is good for is putting holes in engine blocks :) .

Too big for me. If it suits you, I would go for one.

I can't blame anyone for getting one, even if it is as unreliable and impractical as they say. Compared to the Automag, Grizzly, and the Coonan the DE has been a real success story. Personally, I had a chance to shoot the .44 Mag version and it was a blast. Its very unique and you can't put a price tag on that.

But please, stop ordering the gold colored ones.:D

Thank God my brother bought one

My brother has one in .44 and it is a kick. People love it and it is a blast to shoot.....When it works. It is temperamental, and seems to only like 300gr ammo.

I bought a Beretta Border marshal & a Sig P239 & and Beretta 21a in .22lr for the same price.

WHHHOOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOO !!!!!!

I get to shoot it all the time, and didn't have to pay for it. How lucky could I get ??????

My friend has an American Made .44Mag DE in Polished Nickle and that gun rocks! Not only is it a blast to shoot, but it get's a lot of attention. And it won't beat you up like a high powered revolver will.

Now, If it were mine, I'd keep it strictly as a range gun. But, my buddy slaps a scoped 10"bbl on it and hunts boar with great sucess. One warning is that the DE's need a lot of TLC. So, if you're not into cleaning your guns every time you shoot, the DE will give you problems.

-Red-

Am I the only one without functioning problems? My .50 gets cleaned on a decent basis. It eats either IMI or Starline brass for breakfast, dinner, and supper without any kind of a malfunction in over a year or service. Being a gas gun I reload pretty close to published maximum and have absolutely no problems. Now watch, the next time I go shooting it won't work at all. As to the cost, what do the Kimbers, Clarks, Springfields, Les Baer's and other varieties of the same design cost? There are wheelguns with the same and higher price tags. DE's are easy to shoot, and they can be used for just about any kind of hunting or target shooting around. Not a bad platform for a one pistol person.

Someone purchased the gold .50 DE before I was able to. :D The gun shop dropped the price by $200 to finally get rid of it.

I plan on buying a .50 DE sometime soon and I have started a "Politically Incorrect Desert Eagle Fund" (PLEASE SEND MONEY) ;) so I may purchase one of these hand-cannons. I doubt I'll end up with that "purty" gold finish even though it would go well with my platform shoes, four-finger ring, and gold tooth.

Have owned a 50 for around a year. I believe it was the Speer Gold Dot mine didn't like. I handload for it, and have had zero problems since(except for the magazine springs are getting worn. On the 3 magazines they are all "now" causing a misfeed on the last round. None of them used to do that. Note they all didn't get bad at the same time. It was gradual). They are good guns if you know how to hold them properly, and not be intimadated by their size, and blast. I believe most inaccuracy, and malfunctions are caused by the shooter (Will note that some malfunctions are caused by the magazine. This can be a problem with any auto-loader). That's where it gets it's bad rap. Some think that if a gun (any) can't be concealable that it is of no use. Or just cause "THEY" can't handle them. It's worthless for everybody. All of this is pure B.S.! Buy one, take good care of it, and enjoy!

P.S. People that have shot mine (even one's that are strictly rifle shooters, and have no, or little handgun experience) had no problem's handling recoil, and no malfunctions occurred.

I bought one in the late 80's maybe 1990 and it was completely unreliable but fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to trust my life with it, but it's a good attention getter. Also when a gun is that big it doesn't have to fire to scare a bad guy away.

Kaboom i'm with you. My D.E. 44mag is very reliable.
I have never had a problem with it. I would like to own
a .50 cal. version and I would not hesitate to buy it.
They are definitely a TIM TAYLOR type of gun ugh-ugh-ugh.

Back