Desert Eagle

RandyV

I have oppertunity to buy a new in box Mark V11, Desert Eagle in 44 mag. It has a chrome polished barrel , hammer,slide release , safety, and magizine. Rest of firearm is high polish. Price is $780.00

This appears to be cheap. What are your thoughts on the Desert Eagle, Thanks All

Big, but fun to shoot. I enjoy mine in .357 mag. Bought it way back when they first came out, made in Israel.

RandyV

If you've always wanted a Desert Eagle and don't plan to carry it concealed and just want it for hunting by all means I think you should get it IMHO. After all, back in 1985, the Equalizer had one in 357mag. :D

If you want something that w/shoot ammo w/the same ballistics as the Desert Eagle, but from a much smaller and concealable platform, ie. 1911, more accurate, more reliable, allowing multicaliber capability w/a barrel and mag swap, and more practicle, get a Gas Gun Ultimate instead. Or a $400 Super. What is a Gas Gun?

Its a similar system to that of the Desert Eagle, but much more refined. I got to shoot a couple of them at an indoor range two weeks ago along with some other guys. From a standard 5" gt 1911, 165gr Sierra HPs can go 1600fps and 200gr @ 1450fps! That's 44mag ballistics and from something made for it without needing to go to 30+pound recoil spring cheese graters that remove flesh every time you sling shot the slide. It uses a normal 17 and a half pound spring for just about all loads. I plan to build a 1911 from the ground up and use one of these for the project. When I get the money, I'll be getting the rest of the parts for my project and adding a 9x23 barrel that'll launch 115gr bullets @ 1700fps. If you want something for hunting, I'm told that they can be purchased at longer lengths if you want more velocity. Here's some details.

At least that's what I would (and am) do.

Best regards RandyV!

eq

hey randy-
I think the price is a little high. I'm pretty sure the mark 19 goes for right around 850 brand new dealer cost.
But if you like it, and it looks real nice to you all shiny and chrome. Then you can't pass that up now can you?
There really isn't a nicer looking gun than the DE.
Mine was my first handgun, in 44 of course, I couldn't afford to shoot 50AE back then. (Still couldnt afford 44 then either really)
The only complaints I have is on ammo, they are very picky guns. But the ammo that will work it all the time is readily available.
Reloads- you can do it, but the case life shooting the very hot 44 loads in that gun isnt the greatest. Plus you always shoot jacketed only out of the gun.
I average maybe 5 or 6 loads out of the 44 cases before they are relegated to revolver only use.
I love mine, and two of my friends went and bought themselves some too because they liked mine so much.

It's really a fun gun to shoot.

RANDY
THE DESERT EAGLE IS A LARGE HEAVY HANDGUN. IF YOU HAVE SMALL
HANDS YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT. ON THE OTHER HAND IT IS A VERY
IMPRESSIVE LOOKING WEAPON. I HAVE A DE 44MAG AND AM VERY
HAPPY WITH IT. YOU MIGHT FIGURE ON GETTING ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS
FOR IT IF YOU PURCHASE IT. MINE SHOT HIGH WITH THE FIXED
SIGHTS, BUT IS FINE NOW WITH THE ADJUSTABLE ONES. IF I HAD TO GIVE UP ALL OF MY GUNS BUT ONE I WOULD KEEP THE D.E.
I AM SURE THAT MANY PEOPLE WILL DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT
BUT THAT IS MY OPINION.

I didn't like the gun. When new it would blow back hot gases into your face. When I called the importer I was told that I should polish the parts and maybe the problem would go away. They made it VERY clear that for that kind of money I shouldn't have expected them to do that. Odd I thought. I wouldn't buy another.

Randy,

I have a Mark XIX in 44 mag. I really enjoy the Desert Eagle. It is a LARGE gun, and I have fairly large hands so it feels great in my hands. I am also very pleased with its accuracy. I shoot it much better than I do my Kimber .45.

The Mark XIX has an integral scope mount rail and the caliber can be easily changed from .357 to .50 AE with barrel and bolt changes.

If you have the money and are interested in the DE, I don't know of any reason you shouldn't buy it.

Back