Desert Eagle accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_m_curry

I am thinking about using a 10" barrelled Desert Eagle in .440 Cor-Bon for times when I am out in the wild and the extra size and weight wouldn't be bothersome. For those times in the woods when weight and size are a consideration I have a Glock 21 in .40 Super (ammo pending :) ). A .429" 240 gr. bullet at 2,045 fps looks pretty nice to me, but what kind of accuracy can one expect? I would think that the DE would be about as accurate at 100 yds as the average "whitetail special" maybe around 2" groups. So, has anybody shot one at 100+ yard distances? Does anyone make a imlitary/tactical type holster for the 10" DE? Anybody know where some .440 Cor-Bon loading data exists? Anybody tired of my questions yet ;e

Cheers,
David Curry

David,

Magnum Research offers a full line of gear for the DE, up to and including the XIX .50AE with the 10" barrel. You can see the stuff at www.magnumresearch.com .

As far as accuracy, the DE in all calibers is supposed to be pretty decent, but you have to do your part and provide a rock-stable platform. Personally, I wouldn't want to try hitting a target at 100 yards with a 6-pound handgun. :)

------------------
"An Eley's No. 2 is an excellent argument
with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers
into knots."
--Sherlock Holmes

I've had a .44 DE for about 6 years and I agree with Coin. It is a tough pistol to shoot really accurately at long distances without a stable platform. There are several solutions for that though. The pistol itself is capable of being very accurate, but I don't know about 2" at 100 yards in the field, that would impress the hell outta me.

The thigh holster I have for my 6" DE has an open bottom, it has the Magnum Research Eagle on it, so it probly came from them.

The limiting factor will be the shooter, not the pistol. Desert Eagles (mine is a Mark 7 44 Mag) are some of the most mechanically accurate pistols I have fired. When you spend ~$900 for a pistol, whether a Desert Eagle or good old 1911 45ACP, you generally get fit and finish most people dream about. If you can hold steady and see the target at 100 yards, 1 inch groups would not surprise me. My pistol will cluster (all shots touching) at standard pistol ranges (~50 feet).

Sid

Sid,

Very good to hear from you! Can I come over and play with, I mean try out :), your DE? Just kidding! Sort of :) I may have to order one someday soon if I get a nice bonus check offered to me from you-know-who!

My parents just bought my wife, I mean *us*, an almost $2,000 digital camera this past weekend to film our 5 month-old son. They could've bought me a DE and my son some tiny Glock in .357 Sig or some such little boys' caliber instead. That last bit was joke... no need to come over and shoot me with a .357 Sig to make any points :) But noooo, they have to side with my wife and get boring camera! Well, she is cuter and a heckuva a lot sweeter than me :)

Cheers,
David Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back