Desert Eagle .50AE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairball

Does anyone out there own one of these "beasts"?? I'm considering buying one soon and would like to know a little more about it. Not really sure why I want one, probably because its the biggest caliber semi-auto handgun on the market or something like that.

Thanx in advance for any info...

-=Hairball=-

Well, if you goto :

[Link to invalid post]

There are some opinions and experiences discussed there.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited October 24, 1999).]

A guy over at http://www.guns.com has one and I know he loves it. His initials are RH. He'll gladly tell you all about it if you send him an e-mail. I won't supply his address though. You're gonna have to figure that part out. His gun is brand new and his ammo is a fortune. He shouldn't get too pissed if you tell him that Ben sent you.

Ben

------------------
Besides, I didn't become a "Senior Member" by just sitting around!
:)
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited October 24, 1999).]

I had one, Mark XIX- bought it as a 44mag, but then purchased the 50cal barrel and clip- gun was real nice, real heavy, functioned great (had a few ejection problems)- about 200 rounds were fired through the gun total.
Its loud like you wouldn't believe, used to really piss off the other people at the range
(indoors). Recoil wasn't that bad (my opinion), but it was bad enough that if you really don't have a steady arm- you aren't going to hit the target where you want (if at all)- overall it was a great gun, but I sold it for other guns (wasn't getting the use out it). Oh, and that new gold nitride finish is real neat- very strong from what I heard (little pimpish though). Go for it, if you want one- it won't leave you until you get it- unless some other big priority comes up.

I have a MK. XIX in .44 mag. I considered getting it in .50 AE but I decided that the .44 was a more practical initial investment.
The ammo is (slightly) less expensive and more readily available. There's also a wider range of choices in the type of ammo available in .44 mag.
I plan to get the .50 AE option in the near future. In the MK.XIX this consists of just the barrel and magazine. Since there isn't a frame with serial # involved, you can order that directly from Magnum Research when you're ready without the need of a FFL.

My first thoughts about buying a gun were a DE. It's just an impressive and foreboding-looking weapon (hence its popularity with filmmakers as a BG gun), but it is heavy, expensive (circa $1200), and difficult--but not impossible--to conceal. One of the guys at Big Al's in Hallandale, FL, used to carry a DE concealed in a shoulder holster.

Have to agree with the loudness issue. It will turn heads at the range.

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

ditto on the expslosion that comes out of the end of those things. Thought the guy next to me had a shotgun at first. Waited until he was done shooting to test fire my new 9mm.. aboslutely could not hold still without flinching while the guy was shooting. Of course.. he was fliching too.. shot the wall. the floor. the ceiling, the target hanger, just about everything BUT the target.

Recommend you PRACTICE up to shooting the 50, ie start with a 357 with full house loads then shoot some 44 full house stuff.. when you can shoot those accurately sart shooting that monster 50.

Cons Of desert eagle 50:
heavy, expensive, expensive to shoot, chunky grip frame, difficlut to conceal

Pros:

Say an Alasaurus decides to Rob the local gas-n-sip on YOUR shift. You'll be READY. ;)
(for a t-rex I think I'd want somthing in the nitro express class of weapons)

Dr.Rob

A DE50 is next on my list. Luckily the range I go to has one for rent. Every other trip I rent it and blow 20 rounds. It's an expensive ride, but it feeds the need for the big bang.

Because of its size and weight, it does not buck any more than my USP45 (YMMV). It does get heavy holding it out there, and any limp-wristing may result in a stovepipe. A very firm grip is needed.

The only drawback to it I've experienced is that when it ejects a spent cartridge, you don't know where its going to go because the whole back of the gun opens up. I've had one hit me right in the forehead (no big deal, just surprised me).

Carry a DE50? That's that they invented my Dodge Ram for. ;)

Also, the only way to not go broke shooting it is to reload. I figured it out to be about $0.50 a round vs. $1-$1.50 at the shop.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back