Describe the ideal IDPA pistol...

Kermit

1. What caliber
2. ideal barrel length
3. frame & slide material
4. DA/SA, SA, DAO
5. trigger pull weights
6. fixed or adjustable sights, which manufacturer?
7. standard, night or target sights

Well, you get the picture. What attributes make up the ideal IDPA pistol?

Just buy yourself a Beretta 92G Elite 2 and save yourself lots of aggrivation over this subject. There's only 1 answer.

FROM THE "PERFECT" LIST:

In no particular order: S&W 610, any Glock, and whatever else the rules allow.

I shoot IPSC.

Truthfully..whatever gun you like and shoot well...

Some people love their berettas, glocks, sigs, HKs, Colts, on and on..

so whatever you got and shoot well is perfect..

I look for how well the gun fits my hand, points, reloads, and shoots for me..

Exp..the beretta is just a little too big for my hand...and so I don't shoot it very well..i tried an E2 for a couple of months, but I just couldn't get it to work for me..they are a good deal and mags are readily available..but the Steyr M9 fits my hand a little better and I shoot it faster than the glock..so that is my IPSC production and IDPA SSP gun..

good luck on your hunt..for the ideal gun..

what about the HK P7 ?!
It´s a fine gun and very reliable.

P7M8 - 8 rounds 9x19
P7M10 - 10 rounds .40 S&W
P7M13 - 13 rounds 9x19

good luck and have fun !

The top guys are using a glock 34's and Elite II's
with some minor modifications. Mostly fiber optic sights

It also depends on what division your are shooting

SSP/ CDP/ ESP/ SSR

in SSP - the Elite II or Glock 34

SSR - either a S&W 610 shooting .40's or my favorite the 625 in 45acp- both take moon clips and are easy to unload with the shorter brass case, and to make a Power factor of 125 with a 180gr,200gr, or 230gr bullet makes for very little recoil.

ESP - is becoming very popular for 1911 style pistols in 9mm, 40, 38super, 9x23... I have seen alot of guys who will download a 180gr .40 for this, again if set up right very little recoil.

For me I shoot CDP and I like my guns to have adjustable night sights, checkered front strap, checkered grips, 4lb trigger, ambi's, beavertail, and S&A style magwell.

Much like this gun in the attachment

Attachments

• winner.jpg
    winner.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 160
IDPA should be a nearly stock weapon.

I shoot in ESP or CDP with very mildly customized guns. Why?

I don't like DA/SA triggers much. Also don't own one. :D

I use an FEG 9mm Hi-power clone with an extended combat safety and a houge monogrip.

My second choice is a Colt Commander 45 with 8 shot McCormick mags totally stock.

Last edited:
I'm not really looking for a specific gun to use. I understand it really is personal preference. I'm just wondering, 5" barrel? adjustable combat 3-dot sights? polymer or steel frame? hi caps? Trigger work? You know, attributes ...

For IDPA I would recommend 9x19 cartridge since the PF minimum is 125 and only in CDP do you need a PF of 165. Frames come in Alloy, Polymer and Steel with steel having and edge in felt recoil, but you pay the price of added weight. Allow frames don’t have the longevity of either steel or polymer and polymer has the lowest maintenance of the three.

Hi caps are irrelevant since 10 rounds is the maximum magazine capacity in IDPA except for those that compete in CDP which is limited to 8 round magazines. Trigger jobs depend on your pocketbook a top fuel trigger for a Glock from Custom Glock (Well worth it) will run about $200.00 while the equivalent for a 1911 can run about the same between labor and parts. For HK USP’s, Berretta and SIG’s a Trapper spring kit should suffice cost under $20.00. You might want to make a note that IDPA does not have a minimum trigger pull requirement like IPSC’s production class so it all depends on how low you’re willing to go with that.

Which one??? Form follows function!!!

I have recently transitioned to my Glock 32 with FAC 40S&W bbl. I used to compete with my KP95DC and before that my KP95DAO. I went to the DC because I got tired of the son beating my badly with his DC. Last year I took First Place at the IDPA Nationals in SSP/MM. My son did the same thing the year before that. He still does very well with his 95 (SSP/EX).

My Glock is stock other than a 3.5 lb connector and smoothing the trigger face and the FAC bbl. It has improved my times. It is still primarily my "competition" gun. I carry it about half
the time during the winter since it needs to ride in a holster to be safe. Most of the time my carry gun is still my KP95DAO with 115gr jhps at 1350 fps. I can carry it inside the waist band without worry of an AD, ie. summer carry.

So when I want to compete I now use a Glock to improve my "game." When I want to carry and just wear a T-shirt I carry my KP95DAO.

What you have to decide is how "practical" and how "gamey" you want your gun to be.

IMHO

SSP - Mid-size Glock in 9mm (P7M13) Personal choice
SSR - 625 - 3"
CDP - full size, steel
ESP - Full - Size 1911 (9mm / Super) - Or P7 :)

Break out the guns at the back of the safe and have fun.
:cool:

I asked this question because I am 'building' my IDPA gun. It is a USP 9. So far, I have 4.5" barrel, 9mm, 10 round mags, match trigger installed, DA/SA, and fixed sights. I'm quite pleased w/ myself, thank you very much ;)

Kermit, I shoot the following:

SSP - BERETTA 92FS

ESP - USP .40F AND CZ75B 9MM

CDP - USP .45F

BACKUP - USP .45C, MAKAROV .380, AND STAR FIRESTAR .45.

You are going to be VERY HAPPY with your USP 9MMF. This may be my next Christmas present from my sweet wife.

The best to you!

There are "best" guns in each division, so no single combination of features would always apply.
I like my Hi-Power or Delta Elite in ESP, a 5" .45 in CDP. The HP is box stock. Other than perhaps taking a pound or two off the pull weight, there's not much to improve. The only problem with the Delta is IDPA's put it in the wrong division. My .45 is highly customized for accuracy, but looks mostly stock. Heinie sights, Kart barrel, Infinity lockwork.
I've shot the classifier with 686 and Glock .40, but have no real opinion about those, except to say, "If you are buying a revolver for IDPA, get one with a 4" barrel."

Back