Denver gun laws

Danger Dave

Can anybody tell me what Denver's gun laws are? Specifically, I'm looking for laws governing the transportation of firearms.

I've heard a lot about how strict they are, but not much about what the laws actually are.

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

You cannot have a loaded gun outside of your home. In car, it must be unloaded and locked in the trunk. No "assault" rifles at all. Denver ordinance allows for the confiscation of the weapon AND THE VEHICLE if a loaded or accessable weapon is found anywhere in your car (even if a passenger has it without your knowledge). These laws apply even if you have a concealed weapon permit in Colorado.

These laws are not used quite as viciously as they read, but they're in effect. I can e-mail you more info, if you like.

the only thing denver recognize's is the right to violate your (forget about fed const.) but the state of colo. constitution as well.
sorry a simple answer would have been "SUCKS"

Thanks guys! Those truly suck. Denver is neat to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there!

Morgan,
I would appreciate that, if you could...

Thanks again.

Dave,

You need to come down to Colorado Springs. MUCH more friendly than Denver, gun wise.

And a much lower crime rate. Imagine that.

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

Danger Dave

the answer depends on from where you are transporting the firearms from. if it is within Colo. then the state laws have to be followed. if you are coming from another state and passing through Denver then the Firearm Owners Protection Act is the guide. it states that as long as you are going to a range, hunting area, competition or other legal activity, as long as the firearms are transported legally according to the state/city in which you live you are fine regardless of any laws in other states/cities.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that Denver seems so out of step with most of the western U.S. (with the obvious exception of the 'left' shore ;) )? What has made this city so foolishly liberal? Insufficient oxygen? ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 10, 1999).]

Back