Dented Primer

Koda94

I finally got around to buying new SD rounds so I rounded up all the old misc rounds to take to the next range session. Among those I had 8 rds of Speer 45acp, one has a dent on the primer.

I don't know how it got there, its off to one side and is about .100" long indented more on one end. Kinda like the round was dropped on a metal edge.

My questions are:
>can rounds go off by being dropped on the primer? (I would think so in just the right scenario...)
>does the dent compromise the integrity of the round? ie: could it misfire, or be more sensitive or prone to slamfire...?

It'll be fine. I wouldn't use it for SD but it's fine for range fodder.

Yes they can go off from being dropped. Theoretically dangerous but generally means you need new undies.

>can rounds go off by being dropped on the primer? (I would think so in just the right scenario...)

I doubt it.

Drop a pencil down the barrel of an (triple check) unloaded gun. Point it up, pull the trigger. See how far it goes? The firing pin gives the primer a good solid whack. I doubt dropping it would do anything.

Yes, they can go off from being dropped! There is a fairly low risk of injury form such, but it can happen. A few LE have had the round break flesh as a result. One of my friends had a "detonated" round in a bag full of loose .40 ammo in his car when he arrived at a match. He never heard anything. I did only personally see one myself, a .40 landed on a rock and popped off.

As for a "dented" primer going bang...very likely that it will.

thanks for the replies, I didn't think it would be an issue I was mostly uncertain of the integrity of the round if it could make the primer more sensitive I wanted to handle it properly rather than toss it in the misc bag. Its high time I rotated these to range fodder anyways.

Back