dented casings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTim

My Sig P220 puts a small dent in the shell casings. It is about 1/8" long, 1/4" from open end. Two of my friends' P220s seem to do the same thing. Is this normal? Will it effect the casings if I reload them?

Mine does the same and have reloaded those same cases over 10 times and no problems. The P220 has also been denting the cases less since I have been doing the reloading.

Robert

As with the .40 cal Glocks, it's the slightly extended ejector whacking the cases as they eject.
It's just the Factories way of making sure the case positively clears the port. :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Small dents aren't usually a reloading problem, but IMO they are caused by the case hitting either the headspace extension of the barrel or the side of the ejection port. You can usually figure out where it's hitting by determining how the case was in the chamber at the time of firing. The ejector and extractor marks on a new case can usually give you that clue.

FWIW,

Dents are usually caused by the case striking something on the way out or hitting the outside of the gun. Look for brass marks on the edge of the port or the side of the slide. When a case is ejected, it is struck by the ejector, and pivots around the extractor. At times, the case will actually exit the port, roll around the back of the port, and strike the slide behind the port.

In some guns, the ejection is slow and the fast moving slide strikes the case before it fully clears. These things can usually be corrected by a little tuning of the ejector and extractor, but there is no way I can describe what needs to be done; it is often a matter of trial and error.

Reloading should not be affected if the dents are minor.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back