Dent in shotgun barrel

Alex Johnson

What's the concensus on shooting an old double that has a small dent about 8" from the muzzle on the bottom of the barrel close to the bottom rib. The dent isn't very big, it's just big enough to be noticible. I've never really heard if it's a danger to shoot the gun with a dent like this, I kind of wonder if a few rounds wouldn't just iron it out. I'm not really interested in sending it out and having the dent removed, I guess if it comes down to that I will machine out a dent remover that has been on my list of things to do for quite some time. Just curious what you guys think about shooting it until than.

It might affect the pattern, but unless the description you give is misleading, I can't imagine it being dangerous. Remember, we frequently put all sorts of obstructions at the muzzle of our shotguns, they're called chokes. :)

Any major gunsmith shop should have one of the hydraulic dent raisers that brownell's sells. They work very well& quickly, but cost too much to make it worth it for a one-time thing. Best to take it in, have it done, and not have to worry about it!
crankshaft
nralife, goa, jpfo, fcsa, smvfm
paranoia is a pretty good thing to have when they're actually out to get You!!

I wouldn't run slugs through it though if the dent is significant. Shot should pass through fine though even if it's a bad dent. It will wear at the inside of the bump though, thining the barrel there...

------------------
I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me

Back