• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Dennis

The Staff has discussed that in the past but apparently there are problems of bandwidth and some techy things I never DID understand! :confused:

We will be discussing this again with Rich in the near future. He understands the situation just a "touch" better than I do. :)

Thanks for your support.

Thanks for the fast reply!

It would be nice sometime in the future when we could afford the extra bandwidth, until then I will abide by the rules as I have often tried.

Dennis,
Well, it isn't an old cowboy song, it's an old saying. "Too much of a good thing."
It seems as though TFl has become too much of a good thing. I find the format of open discussion on a broad range of subjects to be less stuffed shirt than a narrow focus. When I joined TFL back in the beginning, the format was pretty rigid. In fact, posts were so scarce and threads were so sparse, prizes were given to the poster that generated the most traffic! The rigid format opened up, via a request from Rich, if I recall correctly, and the immediate tone of the forum became more relaxed. Sad to say, those times are gone. None of us really appreciate the traffic load, nor do we foot the bill for TFL. Rich has been emphatic that will never be the case. I agree with you on this, and I admit my own involvement is OT discussions. However, there is a higher priority than having a good time. I agree, it is our part to do as far as maintaining those involved in RKBA. Even 1 is a loss we can't stand. Peace to you sir, and luck with making this work. I'll try to do my part also.

Rich
AKA RAE

Wow - that WAS LONG AGO! And I belive the membership was like... 1500?

We have come a LONG WAY since then... transfering 10 times the amount of data daily.

I feel that I am more guilty than most in taking TFL off on tangents. While I always tried to keep the topics gun (or gun rights) related and I honestly felt that I was bringing much value to TFL by sharing my everyday adventures so that others would have something to think about should they encounter a similar situation and those with experience in that area could offer their words of wisdom for all to learn from, the positive feedback that I frequently received (some, even from the staff), encouraged me to stretch these stories further & further (ghosts stories, electrical fan problems, etc.) to the point where some of them had nothing to do with firearms or gun rights -- instead, some posts read like a daily journal of my life.

While I have enjoyed sharing these events with other members (and I trust that other members enjoyed seeing bits & pieces of my life), if is have taken TFL in areas where it should not have gone, I apologize. In the future, I will honor the wishes of our generous hosts and try to limit my posts to items related to either firearms and/or firearm rights.

Although, to be perfectly honest with you, I will miss the older, more loose format which allowed many friendships to form. Regards, FUD.

Kodiac, That really was a long time ago in the computer world. I think when I came on board in March of 99 there were less than 1000 of us here. 650 or 850 sticks in my mind. It was sort of like a small college campus where you at least could put a first name with a face type situation.
Love your pro Second Amendment Web Site BTW
Now, in what is really a short period of time, we have thousands of diverse folk getting along fairly well. You guys amaze me!
Thank's for what you all do!!!
Hank

George,
Since you asked. As near as I can figure, by piecing together participants in the discussions, the membership at that time was in the high 30's. I come up with 37 or 38.
Remember, this was b4 there was a general forum here.
BTW, how's that AFCK holding up? ;)

Ah...memory lane. :)
I came here back on January 5th of 1999...some three months after the inseption of TFL in October of '98. At the time there a little less than 300 members. I still remember that there were only a few that made alot of contributions. Even then I was impressed with the wealth of knowledge available here. Some of those original members seldom post now days, sadly, some we have not "seen" in a while. But the base of knowledge continues to grow.
It is, without question, the premier Internet firearms discussion forum.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

The AFCK I got by hook and crook?
It rests in a place of honor today... cliped to my Haggar slacks.
I use it 2 days a week... when it takes a back seat - its to a Mini AFCK.

Yeah - I remember when there was no General... :D Those were the good old days! :D

Back