Delta Airlines Changes Firearms Policy

BarryLee

Apparently, Delta Airlines has changed their policy related to transporting firearms. The basic change seems to be that all declared firearms must now be picked up at the Baggage Service office instead of the Baggage Claim Area. I’m not sure, but I assume this is the place you go when they lose your bags.

So, what do you think? No big deal, minor inconvenience or the end of the world as we know it?

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2017/04/11/delta-changes-gun-policy/

Stupid policy, anyone can still go into a restroom after picking up their luggage.
Or simple enter any unsecured areas with a firearm.

Now, will they have to clearly mark and identify each piece of luggage with a checked firearm inside? Perhaps a STEAL ME sticker?

This extra handling and attention is bound to result in special fees.

ChuteTheMall said:
Now, will they have to clearly mark and identify each piece of luggage with a checked firearm inside? Perhaps a STEAL ME sticker?
That would be a violation of federal law; 18 USC § 922(e) states that "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

carguychris
That would be a violation of federal law; 18 USC § 922(e) states that "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

Like they need a label:rolleyes: Most require the firearm to be in a locked hard case with the owner having the only key. If TSA wants to inspect it they can page the owner to make sure the gun is not loaded and complies with the rules.

That happen to me. Waited around baggage claim for 45 minutes. Folks on my flight came and went. Thought it got lost. Went to the baggage claim service desk....yup, there it was. Complete BS that they don't tell you ahead of time. Flew another carrier and it wasn't like that. Airlines and States gotta get their crap together and standardize on these policies.

Its just a sign of the times. The airlines are trying to be proactive instead of reactive. Don't see anything wrong with that but yeah, a little heads up would have nice.

They won't have any problems identifying which bags to divert to
the new pickup area. Delta now zip ties the %$#@& out of luggage containing
firearms. Just had it happen to a friend last week on a flight to Las Vegas.

I don't see this as being proactive in any way. It's strictly reactive to the recent incident. As has been pointed out, once the bag is claimed, it can still be taken to the bathroom, loaded up and used in the non-secure baggage area. Likewise, because baggage claim areas are not secure, anyone can just walk in off the street with a loaded firearm...or machete...or slingshot.

Agree...this won't prevent any violence and does indeed ensure that your bag with a firearm will be singled out as a target for thieves.

The two times I traveled with a hand gun they had me lock it, then the airline put a piece of sealing tape around it. Both times I got it back from the baggage service counter. I don't remember which airlines they were.

It may not be as much of a "so what, you can still go into the bathroom and load it" kind of thing as it is a "we route to the desk so no one else can just walk out with it" thing.

Suppose something keeps you from getting to the luggage area before your gun does? There are lot of places, (smaller airports in particular) where its still entirely the honor system, who picks up who's bag and walks out with it.

Fly into some place that serves a city of 30,000 or so, be on one of the last flights at night. NOBODY but you is anywhere around to check that someone else isn't walking out with your bag....more often than not.

I kind of like it. Over the years I have flown several times with long guns and in the busy airports the baggage carousels are full of people. Anyone with even an inkling of what a gun case looks like could slip out with it and you would never know. Several times I freaked out when my case was not there only to go to the baggage claim office and there it was. Nice to know that the airline was looking out for my firearm. I consider it a perk.

I've often wondered who would you contact if you flew cross country only to have your firearm stolen from the airport. I'm saying that you checked it in and it disappeared when you arrived at your destination. Since you crossed state lines would that be a federal offense? Contact the FBI?

I've often wondered who would you contact if you flew cross country only to have your firearm stolen from the airport.
You'd contact the local police where you are when it's discovered the gun is missing and let them figure out where the actual crime took place.

I consider this a potential major headache. I don't fly much any more but often fly the very late flights. I have noticed that none of the airlines have any service people in the baggage claim area on arrival at late hours at my local airport.

I believe my airport serves a moderate number of out-of-state hunters I can just image them finding out they have to come back to the airport the next day to claim their baggage because there is no one handle it. Or how many hours it may take to find someone late at night.

It is nothing more than the airlines trying to cut down on internal theft. I personally would prefer all airlines do this. This way when I show up at my destination and the firearm is not there I immediately start the claims process on the the $100,000.00 gun that I declared at the point of origin.

Back