Delisle commando carbine, magazine question: Any experts?

scouter27

I saw a photo (a drawing, actually I think) long ago, and It might still be in a book at my father's house. It was a cut-away of a Delisle that showed the full SMLE magazine still in place, modified in a way that the 1911 mag was encased, but still removable. The full mag fixed and the spent 45ACP casings would eject down in to the velvet (as I recall) lined mag body.

Anyone have an example of this? Every photo I have found so far has been of just the 1911 mag.

Am I losing it, and inventing amazing things, or did I really see this?

I'm hesitant to say that NO Delisle's were produced that had the .45 magazine sticking out of the SMLE magazine, but all the ones that I'm SURE were original only had the ACP magazine. There are reproductions that use that method though.

Repro:
MVC-121E.JPG

It wasn't like that at all, by my memory. The original magazine wasn't there for any purpose other than catching the spent casings. looking at that though, I don't think there is as much space as my mind has been envisioning. I'll have to go searching for it.

I can't lay my hands on a reference at the moment, but in the back of my mind is a memory that all the original Delisle carbines had their barrels set back during construction.

delisle-carbine.jpg

delisle_carbine_1.jpg

Back