Delicious snow geese

Roadkill2228

Hi again everybody...I went after geese for my first time this fall, here in NE Saskatchewan, and I only got 1 canada and the rest were snow geese. I was nervous about the meat because I'd heard so many bad things abou snows. One of my bosses said, when I asked him what he would do with a snow goose, "coyotes have to eat too", another older guy I know said they found that the best way to eat a snow goose is to cook it in the oven covered in strips of bacon, an that upon cooking it, throw out the goose and eat the bacon! I don't know what everyone is hating on them for, now that I've eaten a few. They are delicious if you prepare them well. What some friends of ours (my wife and I) told us to do is put the bird in a slow cooker on low heat for 5-6 hours with a can of mushroom soup and a chopped onion, along with spices of your preference. That's what we've done and its been wonderful. My mom normally is not fond of wild game but she loved this goose when we had them over for supper. So, the snow geese are overpopulated and they're allowing a special spring goose season for snows only. I'll be getting my shotgun out...they are perfectly good food done right! Only thing I think I'll do differently is just cut out the breast meat next time, not much else on those comparatively small birds.

I am not sure there is any critter you couldn't put into a crock pot with a couple cans of cream of mushroom or beef broth etc. type soup and cook for several hours that wouldn't be delicious. Toss in a couple handfuls of rice or noodles toward the end and make your own goose and rice/noodle soup.

I've been eating snow geese for years and like them. I have heard all my life how they are not good to eat, usually by people who have never eaten them. Don't know where or when this started. They are not teal or specks, but they're as good as gadwall, widgeon, etc...

Same old, same old !! By far the most important thing is to dress out game immediately ! Even more important during warm seasons. Second those feathers are there to insulate the goose .Get them off quickly.
I've only hunted Canada geese but unless you have a young one cut it up and braise it - much better. Brown meat in hot oil. Add chopped onion , carrots , celery. Add, if you like , mushrooms ,peas, wine. I recommend fruit which compliments waterfowl. Fresh of dried tart fruit .A sliced lemon, or tart apple ,dried tart cherries are my favorites. Simmer until done !! Eat and enjoy. :)

Most water fowl tastes like whatever it has been eating. So, depending on if it has been in grain or not,
Breast it out.
Brine it for 2 days in teriyaki or other sweet marinade.
Smoke it over apple wood at 180-ish degrees for 4-5 hours.
Let it cool.
Slice thin
Eat with cheese and crackers.

Every group of people has a type of food they think is the lowest of low. The trick is to figure out what they are doing wrong and who's doing it right.

I'm picky when it comes to paying money for fish but if I catch a fish almost all fish can go to the dinner table. Except Dogfish/Bowfin. I don't know what I do wrong but you add any bit of water and the meat goes jellylike.

Like Scorch said they can resemble what they have been eating. Don't worry and eat em.

Thanks for some tasty suggestions guys...I like the marinated and smoked breast meat idea... My parents do have a smoker at the farm, think i,ll try that next time I get one

Back