• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Deleting TFL Account/Profile

Dear TFL,

I have looked around and tried to find how to delete my profile/account, but haven't found anything. Could I get some help? I really appreciate it, and I hope your new year goes well!

Sincerely,

theliberalgunowner

Accounts are not typically deleted. If a member wishes to end their participation at TFL, the way to do so is to simply stop posting.

It's apparently a common approach on forums.
I got the same answer on another forum I hadn't participated at for a long time.
No way to unsubscribe, other than not logging on.
And even the ones that supposedly can be unsubscribed don't always take.
Go back some time later and there you still are.
If you're concerned about a loss of privacy, or being on some scary list somewhere, it's way too late for that anyway.
Other than moving completely off grid to some backwoods location, the time for hiding is long past.
And that just sounds way too boring.
Don't sweat it, you have plenty of good company.

As it said in the very first screen you saw when you first joined, even before you started registering, "under NO circumstances will TFL staff delete a member's account and/or a member's entire posting history."

He'd already understand that.

If he read the explanatory note that I reference.

Which he indicated that he did when he clicked the link that said "I understand and I want to continue registering."

Water-man: That explanation is in the first page you hit when you try to sign up, put there over a year ago so that staff shouldn't have to repeat it in these kinds of threads.

http://thefiringline.com/privacy.html

We're not unreasonable. If there's a particularly compelling reason for a request, even though it typically wouldn't be granted, contact staff privately and explain it.

Not being able to read the outline of privacy and data-permanence expectations that's put right in front of you when you sign up, alone, is not a very compelling reason for staff to do anything. And even without that page, there are certain obvious expectations about signing up for, and participating on, a forum. Expecting account deletion and post removal is, in general, not very reasonable.

Ask yourself this question: What interest do you have in account deletion or mass removal of posts that isn't outweighed by maintaining continuity of historical threads? The fewer posts you have, the less potential damage, but also the less reason to delete them.

Back