• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Delete Old Posts

Shotgun12

Inactive
Could I recommend something .... how about deleting the "For Sale, or Want to Buy" ads, that are more than a few months old - since most (or all), will be invalid anyway. It would save us all, much time, and save quite a bit of 'space'.
Thanks

I like having the older "For Sale" threads as a reference when researching the value of something I have for sale or am interested in buying.

I don't know how it could save anybody time if the older threads were deleted. If you are searching the "For Sale" forums for a particular item, set the search parameters to "3 months ago" and "newer" to eliminate old threads from your search.

-Dave

The problem is with those who aren't familiar with using these forums .... they will often "resurrect" an old thread from months, or years back, which will show up as "new". Sometimes I don't realize that I'm looking at a 3 year old post, until I've already read it .... I don't always remember to check the date on the darn things.
I've just found that it's a lot easier to look at the New Posts .... and not have to do a 'search', to look for items that may still for sale.
I know what you mean, about using them for reference .... could they be "archived" in some way?

Shotgun12, your idea has merit, but so does TheBluesMan's reason for keeping them around. I would add to his reason the fact that the member who originally sold or bought an item here might want to see the thread at a later date for reasons of their own.

Instead of deleting the threads, I think a good compromise would be to close them to further posting. I do agree with you that having a 3 or 4 year old thread resurrected for no really good reason is annoying to say the least.

I'll see if closing the old threads is doable.

There is a vbulletin mod installed that at least forces people to check a box when posting to an old (>30 days, currently) thread.

Yep, and I think that helps a lot.

There is no easy way to mass close all the old threads within the normal tools available to us. We can close them a page full or two at a time, but that would take a long time and the problem is not so severe that it would be worth it.

We can mass delete them, but we don't want to do that. So we'll have to let it go and just ignore the few that threads that get resurrected.

Back