Dehorned H&R 1906 .22LR

Carmady

I'd been through quite a few derringers in search for a little hideaway gun, but their weight, 2 round capacity (for most), and single action (for most) indicated I was barking up the wrong tree.

I figured one of those old little 7-shot .22s would be more to my liking. Seven rounds vs 2, lighter weight, and DA.

I bought this H&R and tried it out at the range to get an idea of its accuracy, and it shoots way better than I do - no surprise there. At about 55 yards from the bench in SA about 1/3 of the 70-80 shots fired hit a piece of cardboard about 16" x 16". I was very pleased, with myself and the gun.

Inspired by the sporty appearance of the H&R Vest Pocket, I removed the hammer spur and most of the front sight to reduce the snag factor, and now it looks like this.

Attachments

• H&R 1.JPG
    H&R 1.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 139
  • H&R 2.JPG
    H&R 2.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 85
The major drawback to using an old gun like that for any serious purpose is the tendency of the ancient springs (trigger spring especially) to go SNAP!! at the wrong time. The results could could be highly unpleasant in a tight situation.

Jim

As much as I hate to see vintage guns get modified,,,

As much as I hate to see vintage guns get modified,,,
Yours turned out very well.

I'm all about re-purposing "out of date" items.

Aarond

I might have had one of those.
Is it the model where to reload, the cylinder and center pin have to be removed so the empties can be punched out with something or other?
And the gun can be fired from single action with just the little safety trigger if you're a little kid with skinny fingers?

James, if I carry it it'll be as a BUG in a weak side pocket. I wouldn't consider it a "go to" gun, but I do like it.

Aarond, thanks for the compliment. This particular gun has next to no value to collectors and most other people. I'd be very reluctant to do that to another gun.

g., removing the cylinder is the easiest way to extract fired cases because they can get stuck in the charge holes. I don't know about SA and the little safety trigger. I no longer fire it in SA because it would unsafe to set the hammer down since there's no hammer spur for a secure hold.

RJay, I thought about that too, but figured I'd leave it as is for now. Plus, that would reduce the velocity, and this doesn't really have power to spare.

I realize my comments are not welcome, since you have been thinking of the gun in terms of SD and have decided that it would meet your needs, but if you might really need a gun, consider this.

A BUG should NOT be the cheapest or oldest or least powerful or least reliable gun you own. It should be the BEST that you can find in an appropriate size. Consider, that the BUG could be your last chance of remaining alive. It will be used only if your normal carry gun fails or is empty.

I know that the term "back up" often means some old or defective piece of equipment that can be made to do in an emergency (the old firetruck, the ambulance that barely runs, etc.) but that is (IMHO) not a very good way to think of a BUG. A BUG is the gun that HAS to work, that HAS to fire; if it doesn't, it gets tossed in the hole with its late owner.

Jim

James K: "I realize my comments are not welcome..."

James, nothing could be further from the truth. I hold your comments in high regard, and greatly appreciate this one because you've pointed out the seriousness of a BUG. I've been taking for granted that I'll never need it, and thereby discounting its importance.

Thank you for the wake up call.

I admit my comment could have been stated better, and I know that most folks consider a BUG an unimportant piece of armament. My intent was to counter that idea. That said, I am not a great fan of BUGS. When I was a deputy sheriff, I never carried one. I figured if 18 rounds of .357 (two speed loaders) wasn't enough to stop the BG, I would throw the darned gun at him and run like heck.

Jim

Back