Dehorn Procedure?

Sarge55

Recently picked up a stainless USA Walther PPK. Would like to get rid of some of the sharp edges on the frame and slide. Nothing too drastic. Any suggestions as to procedures and products? Many thanks in advance...

Sarge

I took a half round diamond coated needle file to a new stainless Colt Combat Commander .45 last year. That damned thing had razor sharp edges!

Use electrical tape to protect the flats from slips and just break the sharp edge, don't work it down to far. I ran a fine line at a 45 degree angle around the slide and dust cover with magnifying goggles on then "hand-buffed" the edges with a grey Scotch brite pad. Worked great.

If you've got five thumbs, I believe Cylinder & Slide works on PPKs and can make them feel like "a worn bar of soap" to your hands... but that takes alot of work and will cost you appropriately...

Sarge55, dehorning is actually sloppy polishing. In other words when a pistol is dehorned the smith does things on purpose that he avoids like the plague when normally polishing. If you have access to a powered polishing wheel you round off the corners and sharp edges. If you don't have a machine DeBee's method will work nicely. George

My first dehorning project was a Ruger P-85. I used a triangle-cut and a round Needle file. To begin, I knocked all of the sharp edges down with a large file and then just finished with the Needle files. My final task was to match the polish which I did with strips of 400 grit sandpaper glued to popsicle sticks (fingernail files were too rough). Ensure that you thoroughly clean whatever parts you are doing afterwards. I didn't use electrical tape to protect the flats because I am just that good! :)
I do, however, think it's a great idea for the non-perfect.

Back