Degrease before switching to Ballistol?

Pops1085

Do you think that I should completely degrease all of my guns before I switch to using Ballistol on them? I think I heard somewhere along the way that some cleaners/lubes don't mix well together and could gum up your gun. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

I've never heard of a mixing problem between Ballistol and any of the common cleaners nor have I encountered any problem like that myself when using Ballistol.

If you've been using a cleaner/lube that recommends not mixing with other cleaners then a thorough cleaning/degreasing might be in order, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that rumor mainly comes from mixing different types of grease, and thicker oils. I do not think that gun cleaners and gun oils will be any problem.

Ballistol is mostly mineral oil, which will generally dissolve most types of grease, so it probably will do the same to most petroleum oils as well. There is no problem with using Ballistol over regular light gun oil, etc.....that I know of. I did it, when I started using Ballistol a couple of years ago. No problems. No "gumminess".

Pops 1085, Ballistol is the best. My wife hates the smell, the only problem I know of is it shouldn't be used on nickel plated guns, does something to the plating. Its so slick , if you use it in other then a 22lr in your barrel ,you better use a bore cleaner to remove the Ballistol, dry patch won't do it. Barrel will need at lease 5 shots before it groups. Works well with 22's due to they are lubed to start with, then dry patch is fine. It is the slickest. Never heard of a problem when in contact with other oils. With solvents that's a different story.

Back