Definition of C&R in gun sales

Trago

Inactive
I'm going to show my level of ignorance once again, while perusing Auction Arms and other gun sites looking for a gun for one of my sons I keep seeing 'C&R' okay on this weapon. Someone please take a second and enlighten me.....what's it stand for? Thankyou

It means Curio and Relic.
It means that the gun is on a list compiled by the BATF-e that states that the gun is of some historical, or design significance and is at least 50 years old. If you have a Type 3 FFL you can purchase these and have them shipped directly to you.

Well, in a nutshell that's the way I understand it.

Rattletrap is correct.

A type 03 FFL costs $30 for 3 years and has nowhere near the same level of scrutiny as a 01 FFL (the "dealer" one). Of course, this license is only to facilitate building a firearm collection by interstate commerce. It is not a license to get a bunch of SKSs and sell them to friends at cost. It's personal collection use only. If the ATF does inspect your books (rare, but it does happen) and finds you've been engaging in a business with a 03, they'll be rather displeased with you.

"It means that the gun is on a list compiled by the BATF-e that states that the gun is of some historical, or design significance and is at least 50 years old. If you have a Type 3 FFL you can purchase these and have them shipped directly to you."

Replace 'and' with 'OR' and you've nailed it. If you can demonstrate that the gun in question is at least 50 years old, it does NOT need to be on any list. Likewise, a new production SAA or 1911 is not C&R eligable, even though the design is over 50 years old.

Back