Defensive Vehicle Carry in Ohio

RickD

I will be traveling to Ohio (from my current residence in Arizona) over the holidays. Looking to carry my Glock 21 in the most legally accessable manner for self defense I went to the O.Highway Patrol web sight which had a link to Ohio Revised Code. I spent much time trying to figure out what was allowable in the police state I left some 15 years ago.

What I found was ORC Section 2923.16 which appeared to say that (as well as other options) as long as my pistol is in "plain sight," "unloaded," and with "action locked open." all was hunky-dory.

I called several Ohio police agencies including five highway patrol posts, a sheriff's office and a police department, and guess what? They couldn't agree on what the law meant. The minority opinion was that all would be cool if, instead of having my loaded magazine on my person, or on the seat, I should lock it in the glove box (the key must be on the key ring and not quick-detachable) ...how anal.

After I read the law to them, one post confered with their supervisor and agreed that "the letter of the law would allow you to have the loaded magazine, but it would be up to the discression of the officer."

The Dayton and Hamilton posts most strongly agreed with me and mentioned, but could not name, two court cases which the State of Ohio lost. They even have a training video at that division which says as much.

Nowhere in Ohio code does it define what loaded weapon is other than for a muzzle loader (powder in pan or cap on nipple). There is nothing in statute to say a loaded magazine equals a loaded gun.

I have my lawyer father agreeing with me also and has mailed a few court cases for me to look over here in Arizona.

I e-mailed the Highway patrol for their view on the issue and they referred me to the same statute which I supplied them in my e-mail. In essence, they refused to comment.

Any opinions?

For your reading pleasure.

Section 2923.16
General Assembly: 122.
Bill Number: Sub. House Bill 275
Effective Date: 12/31/97

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the
following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open
or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

later,

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

[This message has been edited by RickD (edited November 19, 1999).]

Rick,
Lock it in you trunk, unload the magazine also. A loaded magazine and a loaded speed loader for a revolver are treated the same as a loaded weapon. You will be arrested. You will lose your gun. You will be charged with a felony. What your actual offence in court will be is a matter of how good your lawyer is.
There is such wide disparity because there is a wide allowance for how the law is interperted. Plain view does not cut it in most urban areas. In Cinci, anything semi-automatic is illegal. Period. Ohio is tough on any weapons charges. Ohio also has a high conviction rate.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Hal is completely correct. The law is broad enough to allow you to carry your Glock in a gun case and not have it in plain sight in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, however, you must take Hal's advice on your ammo, lock it in the trunk. Bottom line is that the gun and ammo have to be in separate compartments, at least one of which should be locked. And I wouldn't count on a locked glove box as one of them.

Of course, this basically reduces your Glock's defensive capabilities to that of a hammer. There's not much point in even having it for defense. You are probably better off carrying a baseball bat or pipe wrench and hoping for the best.

Good luck getting to your destination in Ohio. Get out of the city as quick as you can and you should be OK.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

I have just completed calling 15 separate Highway Patrol posts and none of them agree with what you said (nor does Ohio Revised Code). The Dayton post has a training video which says what I plan to do, plain sight, unloaded, action locked open, with the loaded magazine in my possession is legal and the troopers told me about two court cases which verify that.

As well, I called the Lima PD and they agreed and said that open carry is legal as well. They told me that I might get a police contact to make sure I am not a bad guy but I would not be arrested. I spoke with my criminal atty father who sent me five court cases supporting that.

Why is it that the LEOs are saying I may, and the gun activists are saying I may not? I don't know about Cinci, or Cleveland, but I wonder why you folks in Ohio are not exercising the rights that you have?

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

RickD,
When I did my legal bills came to just over $2,800 dollars. Make sure you put a gun you never want to see again in plain view.

------------------
Do what you C.A.N.

"When I did my legal bills came to just over $2,800 dollars. Make sure you put a gun you never want to see again in plain view."

When you did what? Where? Was this in Lima or Cleveland? What were the views of LEOs and prosecutors? How do they differ from that of Lima and Allen county? Did any of them say that you would or would not be arrested? Did you win? Was your attorney your father and brother like mine? Did you carry a $60 Lorcin? Did you sue the cop?

So many unanswered questions.

Rick

This just isn't worth it. Rick, do what you feel is right. If you get caught, that's your business. Have a safe trip. The best advice you can get is the above: "Get it in writing"

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited November 22, 1999).]

The scariest thing about this whole thread is that "up to the discretion of the officer" cr*p. Translation: police state.

The scariest thing about this whole thread is that "up to the discretion of the officer" cr*p. Translation: police state. Either it is legal or it is not.

Go for the gusto, enjoy life, I have carried in my car, loaded and locked, within Ohio so many times I couldn't begin to count. Of course, it was not in plain sight, either! Since I never had to shoot anybody, I never even knew that might be illegal until I got on this board. DC fits in the same category, although I can't claim to have done so in NYC simply because I've been lucky enough to have never been forced to drive there.

If you get in trouble, it might even be a good thing under the circumstances you describe, we need somebody to take some of these stupid laws to court!!! Enjoy!

Be aware that seemingly normal and obvious words may have very different meanings legally. In NY state, "loaded" is legally defined as posessing & having ready access to both gun and ammo (not necessarily meaning the latter inside the former), on the theory that one could rather quickly go from [what we would normally call] unloaded to loaded to unloaded. (Heck, in NY "firearm" is defined wierd: a rifle is not legally a firearm.)

Just a heads-up on terminology.

Ok, here is my last post on this thread. Ohio has laws that are the worst in the country. Period. They are so broad that they can mean almost anything. When they are challanged in court, the courts weenie over the fine points, and ignore the big picture. A local cab drive shot and killed a man. He claimed self defence. He was found innocent. He was however convicted of "Having a gun under a disability". He had been charged in the early 70's with robbery, and served time for it. In other words, he was a felon with a gun. Now, by way of the court, he had a right to defend his life, but he had no right to the means of defence of his life. He was in the right, but still has to pay for it with yet another felony. We are talking about a State, Ohio, that will bust you for transporting 5 or more Christmas trees without a reciept for XXXSake! How do you think they (Ohio) are going to treat you for having a gun in your car? A concealed weapon charge is referred to as a multiplier law. The first one is a misdemeanor as long as no one is hurt, or the weapon (not necessarily a gun) is not used in a felony. The second one is always a felony, regardless of the circumstance. Put it all together and you could spend 5 years in an Ohio prison for transporting 6 Christmas trees without a reciept, and having a gun. What was it Arlo said about the group W bench? "They all moved away"

Ohio is tough on guns. Ohio is also a lock 'em up State. Ohio is also *broken* as far as what works and what doesn't.

------------------
Do what you C.A.N.

Hal,

I don't know what your problem is with the English language but nowhere did I talk about violating Ohio's clear prohibition against carrying a CONCEALED weapon. I will be carrying openly.

Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.12 makes it clear that _conclealing_ the weapon is a no-no. 2923.16 makes it clear that to carry a gun in a car one of the four ways to do it is "plain sight," "unloaded," "action open." There is no definition in Ohio code that says a loaded magazine is a loaded weapon. Two Ohio court cases (brought to my attention by Ohio Highway Patrol) state this. I may have a loaded magazine under my control.

I will not be concealing the gun either in my car or when I wear it on my belt holster.

I don't know why you Ohioans can't figure out the difference between a law banning concealed carry and a general agreement that open carry does not fall under the statute.
OHP agrees. Why don't you call them and find out? Or go to the web site...
http://www.state.oh.us/ohiostatepatrol/

You can click on "Ohio Laws Online" and check it out for yourself. When 15 OHP posts say I can carry OPENLY, and wimpy Ohio gun owners say I can't, confusing that act with the ban on concealed carry, I gotta wonder why you folks have such a bad time of it.

Once you educate yourself on the law, why not get your gun club together and start a phone tree so that you can call each of your law enforcement agencies (State, County, and Municipal) and make sure they understand the law. Call up the Dayton OHP and see if you can get a copy of that training video which should explain it very clearly.

Why is a guy from Arizona doing more on this issue than a host of skeet shooters from Ohio? Very strange, indeed.

Rick

------------------

Larry,

If you are going to continue to carry in your car in places where the law is "confusing", I would suggest that you buy a small push-button combo-lock metal pistol safe (you know which ones I mean) and bolt it to your transmission hump. Quick-release means you can get to it reasonably quickly. If you carry an autoloader you might even think of having it unloaded to better comply with the law.

A cop may weasle Probable Cause to search the open contents of your car, but he will need a warrant (or your CONSENT) to search the locked box which is bolted to your vehicle with lagbolts. Once they get more gunpowder sniffing dogs this won't be as good.

Then I suggest a suppressed 10-22 to dispatch such animals in their kennels.

Rick

------------------

Rick, What these good folks are trying to tell you is, regardless of the original intent or our preferred interpretation of the law is, the effect is that if you are pulled over for any reason and a gun is seen in your car 1) a law officer suddenly pumped fulol of adrenalin will imediately point a loaded and cocked gun at you and demand you exit the vehicle with your hands in plain sight. 2) you will be cuffed and stuffed into the rear seat of a cruiser, if you family is with you they may share this experience. 3) your gun no matter what state of readiness it is in will be confiscated 5) the full force of the local prosecutors office will be levied against you and you will be accused of at least 1 felony. This was my experience when the gun, cylinder open and empty on the seat was not even a working firearm. Even though the gun, a vintage .32 caliber revolver had no firing pin! It quite literally cost me $3,000 + in legal fees to keep a felony off my record, and I never got the gun, my wifes grandfathers weapon back!

------------------
David L. Blackburn

Daveonwheels,

What charges did you face?

Were you acquitted or did you plead guilty to lesser charges?

Just curious... I'll understand if you don't want to get into details.

RickD,

For someone who is looking for help from Ohioans experienced with the laws of their state, you really are using some inflammitory words in your posts. I personally don't appreciate it and obviously Hal (who has bowed out) doesn't either. You state "I don't know what your problem is with the English language..." and "...wimpy Ohio gun owners..."

Listen bud, you asked for "opinions" from people in Ohio that had experience with the enforcement of the law. You obviously have the means to find out the letter of the law, but it seems that when you didn't like what we had to say concerning real-life enforcement experiences, you attack us and call us "wimpy." Bad form, sir.

This is from your original posting:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.[/quote] Bold by TBM.

It appears that you have glossed over the word unloaded in the law. Previous to the above quote from your original posting was this quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.[/quote] It seems apparent to me that the minute you slide that magazine into your Glock, you "...have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle..." and you have it without "...leaving the vehicle..." Yes, this is a convoluted view of the law, but it is the rule in the enforcement of it, not the exception.

Hal's and Daveonwheels' personal experiences with the enforcement of this law apparently don't carry any weight with you. I wonder then why you bothered to ask if you already knew and/or had decided what to do. I appreciate you pointing out what you consider to be a loophole in the law, but are you prepared to stay in Ohio for a few months to defend yourself in court?

Fact is, it is up to the discretion of the officer.
Police state? Perhaps.
Stupid law? Definitely!
Wimpy for not pushing the issue? Not me, not Hal, not Daveonwheels.
Safe and Secure? Not on your life, but legal. :(

Regards, and have a safe trip.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited November 24, 1999).]

Back