Defensive use of Winchester 1300

Bill F

I've inherited a Winchester 1300. I plan on using it for hunting, but would also like to use it for home defense. It seems like the barrel would be to long for tight in home defense situations. What I would like to know is can I get a shorter barrel that will fit the 1300; or do I have to get a replacement standard barrel and modify it.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

You can, or at least could, get a smoothbore 18 inch barrel (minimum legal) for the 1300. Check with your local dealer. You don't say what length the barrel is now, but maneuvering a long barrel in the home is easier than you might think, with some practice.

Jim,
The barrel is 28" and the total length is 49". I have alot of small halls and doorways and I tried to practice going through the house and I was hitting everything.

Bill:

Have you ever considered a defensive position? A plan for what may happen? This would be my first consideration.

For example, where I live the only way into the bedroom is down a four foot hallway. I have a heavy wooden hope chest placed at the foot of the bed. Anyone trying to enter will find me behind the chest in the dark. They will be coming down a dark hall,into a dark room with a light behind them. Would make for some fun silolte (sp) shootin.

Once you have your emergency plan, then devise ways to fit your shotgun into it.

Richard

Bookkie,

Yes, I have thought of a defensive position. I have the shotgun in the bedroom and 99.9% of the time I would hunker down there. I was thinking of the .1% of the unknowns that may happen.
It just seems that the barrel is so long the way it is that if I go around a corner I may be giving the BG the extra time that may mean the difference between life and death.

[This message has been edited by Bill F (edited April 01, 1999).]

Back