Defensive pistol school near Philadelphia?

Netzapper

I'm about to get my CCL, and so have decided that I should probably take some formal defensive instruction before I actually begin to carry.

I'm looking for a multi-day course that teaches concealed-carry related issues including presentation from concealment, point/close-range shooting, threat assessment, use of cover, shooting in non-optimal conditions (prone, suppine, injured), and at least a little theory about the split-second strategies that you might employ in a civilian, defensive gunfight.

I'm not looking for a spy-training, "tactical" school. I don't need to learn how to shoot while repelling from an invisible Apache, scaling the walls of an authentic Scottish castle, or confronting a force of terroristic scuba divers. I'm talking plain, no-nonsense defensive training.

I live in Philadelphia, and do not have access to a car. I'm pretty much limited to places I can get to by plane, train, and bus. I guess that if it were close, I could rent a car.

Anybody have any suggestions of places to look into?

Act 235

Hi Net,
I live in Philadelphia as well. Here are two places that you could go to for a Certified Lethal Weapons Act School. They are both costly, about $400 with everything included. (Guns, target, ammo)

1) Security Programs Inc. Pistol Range- 4730 Blakiston Street Phila. PA 19136 (215) 333-5050---THe school is 2 consecutive Sundays in a row, 10 hours a day. (located in the northeast)

2) Philadelphia Gun and Archery Club- (215) 551-4544, this place also features a school that is on two consecutive weekends, SAT and SUN, 10 hours a day. I called this place up because I wanted to apply for Brinks and was told you have to get a physical, and a lot of other stuff before you can take part in the school. Give them a call. ( I don't know where the club is located though)

glockaholic21: Thanks! I usually shoot at the Gun Club you mentioned. If you care, it's located on Ellsworth between 8th and 9th (I don't remember the precise address), so I guess I'll ask them next time I go in. Which just might be today, come to think of it.

Where do you normally shoot?

Back