defending your self from force.

Shakgul

What is a reasonable threat? I live in Georgia and there is a video of some gang bangers beating a gay dude on the internet. Now why they did not do any great harm they could of, if he was armed could he of shot them? Do they have to be using a weapon or if someone threatens you with any violence can you defend your self?

"Disparity of Force" is a legal concept that would likely apply if you found yourself outnumbered. Of course, remember that even if you're justified in using deadly force, there will always be people who will say, "But they were unarmed, why did he have to shoot them?" I don't say that to make you doubt yourself should you find yourself in such a situation, but rather to prepare you for some of the attitudes you'll likely experience after it's over.

Don't know about GA but in Oklahoma I believe you could. Here there has to be a reasonably fear for life or serious harm .

In NC, if he felt in fear for his life, yes he could have used deadly force to protect himself. However, if he produced a firearm and they fled then he could not shoot them. Shooting in the back is always very hard to explain to a jury.

I believe here in Texas you could also use lethal force to defend yourself from a group, even if they were unarmed, disparity of force would apply, provided you were in fear of your life. I hope to never be in that position, but I would like to think that I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself or a loved one, if being attacked by a group of armed or unarmed persons.

This brings to mind the term, he was beat to death, I'm not going to take the chance of allowing that to happen to me.

In NC, if he felt in fear for his life, yes he could have used deadly force to protect himself. However, if he produced a firearm and they fled then he could not shoot them. Shooting in the back is always very hard to explain to a jury.
So true in most states if you shoot someone fleeing and hit or kill them you are in serious doo doo . It would either be assault with a deadly weapon or murder. Always look at the laws in the state where you live.

If you can REASONABLY articulate fear of death or grievous bodily harm to you or others you can make an argument for use of deadly force most anywhere. Notice I said make an argument. There is never a clear cut case of use of lethal force not even for cops.

Now they'll ask could you have avoided the situation? Were you looking for trouble? Other stuff like that. That's why as a career LEO I tell people to avoid those stupid concealed carry license badges and other stuff that may make you look to some DA, a jury, or cops that arrive on scene like a wannabe or gun shop commando. Your CC License entitles you to carry so be discreet avoid trouble and when all else fails and the conditions above are met do what you feel you have to. You cannot worry about what may happen if in your reasonable mind you fear for your life of for the life of others.

In Texas I believe that there was an amendment to the carry law stating that if it looked like a possible force situation you could legaly draw, and present the weapon. So if you found yourself with a group of people that approached in a hostile way and you draw, and tell them to go away you would not be charged with the brandinshing, or assault with a deadly weapon. If they continued to approach afterwards and deadly force were used I seriously doubt that a grand jury would charge someone. (In Texas if deadly force is used a person has to appear before a grand jury. If they rule it is justified then that waves you from civil lawsuits.)

Note that if they already are physicaly attacking you it is perfectly legal to use deadly force to stop an assault of yourself or another person.

In Florida you are permitted to stand your ground. Deadly force is legal if you have a reasonable belief that you are in danger of death or serious harm. Even if the attacker is unarmed and alone. There is no requirement for a law abiding citizen to be beaten to death just because he was attacked by a lone unarmed assailant.

Caveat: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not a Georgia lawyer, and I'm not your lawyer. This post isn't legal advice. Relying on free advice, given by random, unknown people on the internet can be risky, particularly when your question is: "When can I shoot someone?"[/caveat]

With that said, and as others have noted, self-defense doctrines are matters of state law. A quick internet search turned up the following for Georgia:

O.C.G.A. 16-3-21 (2010)
16-3-21. Use of force in defense of self or others; evidence of belief that force was necessary in murder or manslaughter prosecution

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

(b) A person is not justified in using force under the circumstances specified in subsection (a) of this Code section if he:

(1) Initially provokes the use of force against himself with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant;

(2) Is attempting to commit, committing, or fleeing after the commission or attempted commission of a felony; or

(3) Was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement unless he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person his intent to do so and the other, notwithstanding, continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force. . . . .<edited for brevity>
Source: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-3/article-2/16-3-21/

Note that there are other relevant statutes out there that would need to be examined by someone licensed to practice in Georgia, but that looks like the primary one.

thanks

That explains a lot I had never heard of the term "disparity of force" before
So that is where the confusion came in on reading the law. What is a reasonable threat to an 100 pound woman might not be a reasonable threat to an 180 lb. Man.

Shakgul said:
...What is a reasonable threat to an 100 pound woman might not be a reasonable threat to an 180 lb. Man.
That's true. If you chose to use lethal force to defend yourself, you will need to be able to articulate why you decided that you were reasonably in fear of immediate death or grave bodily injury.

Last edited:
No rights in this state.

You are talking about a group of gang bangers. In this case even if they are unarmed I would say you have the right to defend yourself. This is not a one on one confrontation. There could be a good chance they will kill you.

I live in one of the only state that has no conceal carry law. So we don't have the right to defend ourself even in this situation. We are trying to change this but so far have made little progress.

gvw3: You are talking about a group of gang bangers. In this case even if they are unarmed I would say you have the right to defend yourself. This is not a one on one confrontation. There could be a good chance they will kill you.

I live in one of the only state that has no conceal carry law. So we don't have the right to defend ourself even in this situation. We are trying to change this but so far have made little progress.

I am happy that I live in Texas, a state where one has the right to stand our ground and defend yourself. I refuse to patronize any place located where my Texas gun permit is not honored. We also have gangbangers in Texas as well but any place that I cannot legally carry I refuse to go there unless I am compelled to go. I just made two purchases totalling about $1400 at two different stores, and if either of them restricted my right to carry I would have found another store. I could never live anywhere that my basic right to defend myself was denied. :eek:

in TX he could have shot all of them and walked home from court a free man. considering
1. a resonable person could have feared for their life (or grievous bodily harm), or the life of someone else (key point)
2. he made a REASONABLE attempt to retreat before shooting (1 step backwards while drawing usually suffices when being persued)
3. he stopped firing once the threat was no more (read: work on shooting in the T)

God bless Texas! One of the last states where one is actually free to defend themselves and those around them from criminals.

Being 61 going on to 62 next month and disabled here. I fear that a younger, stronger and/or bigger BG may assail me so I can use lethal force knowing that I cannot fight back?

I never provoked anyone for any reason and never responded to such thing like flipping off a finger or name calling. Yes, I get that and I think they see me as an easy mark.

Did I behave right? Since I don't provoke or respond to any I should be able to use lethal force if necessary?

saving grace

Yes this guy was tiny and it was about 6 of them, including the guy filming it the only thing thst saved him I think was they really did not know how to fight. Which brings up another thing Georgia passes the stand your ground law but in a state with out it do you think one can retreat from six people? Any thoughts thoughts on avoiding a group or creating enough space to draw your weapon?

I sometimes read posts on threads like this where someone might
believe that pulling their firearm is enough to convince a person or
persons to stop their behavior. I believe that if the situation is
severe enough to pull your gun it is (or should be) severe enough
to use it. Pulling your weapon as a deterent is, imho, bad juju and
could get you killed.

i believe trex is right a mob of six guys if he pulls and fails to use at the right moment he may just end up having it used on him! I also live in Texas have my whole life. I believe there is a law here stating something to the effect that if one is outnumbered by more than so many that lethal force can be used. I am no lawyer but outnumbered by six guys id have to take my chances there. Also, where i live there are "gang injunctions". Yes hispanic (mexican) hoodlums banded together have created enough problems here that laws have been passed against such activity and the gang does not have to be mexican. This gives one an extra measure of leaverage in court should one have to defend themselves from mobs of hoodlums.

Back