Defarbing a revolver?

Model12Win

Hey guys! Well I just recently got my Pietta made Spiller and Burr revolver from Dixie gun works. Here is my gun:

Spiller_and_Burr.jpg

I like the gun so far for the most part, but I am a bit disappointed as to the authenticity of this replica. Compare the above photo of my Pietta replica with an original Spiller and Burr revolver:

sb01.jpg

As you might be able to see, there are some differences. First are all the import markings on the Pietta. This comes as no surprise, but Pietta spared no expense ro include as much obnoxious lettering and import/proof stamps as possible on the replica. I know this is not a big deal to most, and to me frankly it is the least bothersome of the differences between the genuine article and this remake.

Now look toward the muzzle on the original, you will see that it is rounded off, where it is not on the replica. Also, the loading lever locking latch is of a different shape. On the real S&B, it is flatter, where on the replica it looks identical to the wedge-shaped latch on most Colt percussion revolvers.

The other major flaw, and to me one of the most painfully obvious, is the hammer spur shape is much different between the replica and original. You can clearly see that the hammer spur on the real S&B is higher, and looks much different. Again, it looks like Pietta just tried to copy a Colt shaped hammer spur.

Those are the main differences that I can think of, but I am sure there are others. The wood grips on my replica are really ugly and are finished over with some kind of dark red coating, that's going to have to go. I plan to strip them and refinish with walnut stain and boiled linseed oil.

I have looked at having this revolver defarbed, but most of the services I've seen offered only show that they will remove the old manufacturer's markings and stamp historically correct markings in their place. That's a good start, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can have the muzzle rounded (I'll probably need the front sight to be set back as well), the loading lever latch reshaped or replaced, and the hammer made up to look like the real deal.

Has anyone out there had any experience with defarbing a pistol like this? I know it could add up and be expensive, but I'm willing to do it. Short of buying a $50,000 original, I simply want the most authentic Spiller and Burr I can get. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much all! :D

I had one several years ago. They are a tough great gun. I sold and and missed it so bought another. Can not wait.

There is nothing you can to to that replica to make it look like the original.
The frame shapes are completely different.
I would leave it alone and enjoy it as it is.

The grip needs to be completely redone, it needs to have the "tail" ground off, the front of the grip moved back a bit, and the recess where the wood meets the frame reshaped. I don't think the fronts were rounded, these guns went through hard use so it's probably just wear. But it'd just take a file and some sandpaper to fix that. The hammer will most likely need to be custom made. Do all this and antique it and it will be a decent copy. But there are things that can't be fixed that'll always be there.

The Spiller & Burrs are nice.

Not being critical as we all have our "preferences" - but this is a reproduction. I doubt if any report is going to be "identical" 100%

I've been shooting and collecting for over 50 years now, and in that time, I have seen a lot of "reproduction" revolvers "antiqued" and someone trying to pass them off as "original". IF a company were to make something that was 100% identical to the original, I guarantee you that the market would be flooded with "newly discovered originals". I know of an individual who specialized in taking report 1860 Army revolvers and making them into "originals". He even had a complete set of stamps.

That said, I think it unrealistic to expect a reproduction to be 100% identical. They are fully functional shooting handguns and that is their intended purpose along with giving a "historic" feeling to them.

I can't speak for the S & B, but I have often read complaints about the "horrible red grips" on Colt reproductions. And, I have read how they were going to strip them down and make them look "real". What is not commonly known by many is that Colts originally had their grips finished at the factory with a "red dye". Supposedly, it was a "guarded secret" as to what they used but some surmise that it was basically "red document ink" of that time period.

You point out the differences between your new S & B and an original - and yes - there are many differences. For most, the stock report S & B is just fine. But, if a person is not satisfied with the report, then I say "have at it" and change it the best you can to match an original if that is what you want. Whatever you do is to going to change the way it shoots.

I have "antiques" a number of C & B revolvers over the years. I have always shot primarily '51 Navyies and I currently have a Uberti that I "antiqued". Use vinegar to remove the blueing. A good file and polish job take scale of the lettering. Reshape what you can. Then you will have decide if you want it to look "new" or "used and abused".

I was involved in shooting N-SSA as well as reenacting for many years. I mention this as "food for thought". It always amazed me when a "reenactor" would take a rifled musket or a C & B revolver and "age" it to make it look like it was 15o years old. I remember one guy who was so proud of his "antique job" until I reminded him that he was portraying a soldier in the 1850s - and then I asked him if his issued rifled musket would have looked "new" at that time or if it would have looked like it was 150 years old? "Used yes . . . but antique no.

I hope if you alter your S & B, you'll post some photos of it. It certainly can be "changed" to the extent that the revolver itself will allow - i.e. material taken off but it will require much more advanced work to add any in areas where needed. Good luck and have fun! :)

Back