deer rifle does double duty as camp gun

j.s.parker

I'll probably go on my first deer hunt this fall with my brother-in-law. I'm a lefty and I really like the new ruger 77R MKII 3006 in left hand. I go camping and woods buming alot. Is it feasible to use this gun for self defense around camp or in the woods at close range without the scope on it and no "open sights"? At close range I would think you could just "look" down the barrel and hit something.

The 30-06 is far from being a good camp gun, you would be better served by getting a lever gun that will double as a deer rifle. Depending on your hunting situation (distance and brush conditions), there are a large number of lever guns available in 444Marlin, 45-70Government, 30-30Winchester and 44Magnum. These are TRUE dual purpose guns. Excellent for hunting and make for the perfect camp guns. Made for left and right handed people.

Robert

Thanks for your imput Robert. I love the guide gun but limited range and expensive ammo are its drawback. I guess I'm looking for the great "all arounder" but there's no such gun. Thanks j.s.

Keep your 30-06 handy for nasty's like bears and bigfoots but take a defensive pistol along with you. Chances are you will grab that pistol first, since it is smaller and more accessable.

I would recommend a 12 gauge of your choice with 00 buck. A bear or anything else will not like having half a face left when you shoot in that direction, if it gets too nosy. In Canada, we have to get by without a pistol in the bush because of our wonderful government and its laws. I would recommend joining your NRA while you can.

pete80 - answer is yes and no. There are three classes of firearms in Canada: non-restricted (rifles), restricted (handguns), and prohibited (sawed off shotguns, assault rifles, full autos,.25 & .32 cal etc. < 4" barreled handguns). A shotgun that had a barrel under 18.5" but a regular stock to make it the full legal length would be deemed "restricted" - but you better have a good excuse or they won't allow you to license it. Too short and it is prohibited.

J.S.: If you're primarily hunting in woods, aren't the shooting ranges fairly short? As in rarely more than 100 yards?

If so, why not a 1X5 scope? When sneaky-snake drifting through the woods, set it on 1 Power. If in a stand, you can go to a higher magnification...

And when on 1 Power, just point and pull when the crosshairs are "on", with both eyes open...

FWIW, Art

Ruger, as well as other companies make a lightweight in 30-06, 308 and other cals. Quicker and lighter, not as accurate out at longer distances. Drawback-more recoil. Ruger does lefties in stainless and syn. Become proficient with what you end up with and you can do wonders with most any decent rifle.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Back