Deer Ribs

I slice the meat from between the rib bones and it is used like little thin sliced meat similar to the thin slices used in "pepper steak" in the chinese restaurants...

Brent

I would starve trying to eat what little meat is on the ribs of the deer I harvest.:D

I did eat some ribs that a friend of mine cut by using a band saw and cutting through the entire back strap. All it really does is make two nice handles you can hold while eating your back strap.

in a cast iron dutch oven setting over an open fire with Kraut and maybe some diced up apples, well then a potato boiled up in it also.
But then about 1 hour after you take that spoon you stuck in your pocket after eating and use it to scrape the tallow form the roof of your mouth.
They are darn tasty but have a lingering effect. ;)

On occasion I will slice out the tenderloin with the ribs still on it. Makes for some good cooking. Had venison at an indian restaurant once like it and loved it. Don't do it all the time though, but usually will do at least one deer that way.

My problem with deer/elk ribs is the fat is very tacky and sticks to the roof of my mouth. They are edible, but not choice in my opinion. We grind the ribcage meat.

used to

Used to bone them out, but when the grinder quit, we began cutting everything into stew cubes and never looked back.

Don't fool with the ribs, but have a brother inlaw that likes em....

Deer fat is disgusting and there is not much meat on the ribs. I give them away if I can, otherwise they are ground into hamburger.

Deer ribs have very little meat on them. I don't/won't spend the time to pick it off. But, this years, I gave the carcass to a neighbor after I took all the big meat off it. He was happy to sit and pick the small stuff off for his grinder and eventual sausage.

Back