Deer Rear Decoy

DIY_guy

Last year I got into decoying deer with 3 life sized decoys. (see thread)

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/233/oscar-imposter-dolly-doe

It was fun and added another level of satisfaction to my bowhunting but at the same time it was for work and more stuff to haul in and out of the woods. I still plan to use the full sized decoys during the rut but this year I am making a lighter and more portable decoy again using the tail wager device.

This decoy will be a 2 ½ D decoy since its not a full 3D. Its going to be just the rear end. Im building it out of scrap lumber I have in the shop and the leftover paint from making last year’s decoys. Here are a few early pictures of the construction.

rear1_zps985511e4.jpg

7603b632-d2ca-469c-b8f5-0abdf608632c_zpsd5a31e84.jpg

cb08b7af-9c5a-4bc9-8c96-1a633f881724_zpsc2f85f7d.jpg

rear4_zpsf5765d53.jpg

It bought some fiberglass driveway marking poles and painted them black and drilled a couple holes in the decoy. The tail wager will want to cause some imbalance making the decoy want to trip forward so the poles will hold it up and help on windy days too. Here I have the poles and tail wager installed.

rear5_zpsf714c87e.jpg

rear6_zps2db58586.jpg

rear7_zps17404acc.jpg

Then made a housing for the batteery pack and painted the decoy with the same light brown I used on last year’s decoys and then sprayed white highlights in all the white hair areas.

rear8_zps156d47a6.jpg

The finished deer butt without motion.

rear9_zps1bc8a870.jpg

And here is a video of the tail swishing. Total weight with motor and battery pack is 7 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9VPSkJwx4

You are on the right track. I have one of those decoys that you assemble in the field. I put a bit of sent on it and sit back with a camera. It is better than a base ball game. Last year a spike came in and after a wile of nudging form the rear he fell in love. That buck mounted and broke a mount pin loose knocking his honey to the ground. He was shocked and ran off in a hurry. The next day that same young buck was walking through the area when he seen the decoy again. He got low and tip toed to safety. Oh by the way the spike was missing one spike probably because he ran off in such a hurry the day before.
If you use sent you will get more action. Also ounce a buck picks up on the decoy you can let your guard down because it is the decoy that has the bucks attention. I have had deer watching the decoy for as long as 20min. Its great for that close shot with a pistol of bow.

Back