Deer question

impact

I like to fish on north end of Padre Island. This island is about 120 miles long with a boat cut right about in the middle of the island. Some parts of the island are so narrow you can see the intercostal water way. A ship channel so to speek thats pretty wide. There is not a tree or fresh water that I can find. pretty much dunes and salt grass and all typs of weeds.

There are tons of deer and coyote on this island. Where in the world do they get there fresh water or can they drink salt water?

I thought maybe the animals get there water from dew on the grasses at night.

Perhaps from the water in the grasses. I'd imagine there are some natural "tanks" out there. Some animals can actually adapt to brackish water to a degree.

Is this "huntable" land?

:D

The coyotes are pretty funny. They wait till you go to sleep and come in and raid the coolers. They are actually pretty bold.

Thanks for the link Capt Charlie.

Padre is a cool place. That pic at the top of the link is a pic of the ranger-visitor station. After that there is nothing for about 60 miles. We like to fish at little shell and big shell. You go where the gulls are working and throw in bait. You gotta keep a eye on the gas gauge:) There is nothing out there. not even a road:)

One day I want to go to the city of South Padre and drive north on the island. Thats about 60 miles to the boat cut the I can't cross on the north end of the island.

Now if my jeep was like a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang it would be no problem:). to go to South Padre is about 200 miles more of a drive. But I always want to see if there was deer running around the south end of the island as well. I was at South Padre one time and the beach looked way different. but I never got away from the city.

The last time I saw South Padre Island was durning a spring break a few years back and I seem to remember tanned bodies all over the island. I didn't see any deer but I was hunting.

Back