Deer in GA

SquirrelNuts

Now that I have my new Leupold on my old Rem. 700 chambered in what else but .30-06, I will be going on my first hunt in a few weeks. I will be hunting in N. GA. in some thick stuff with an experienced hunter. He told me what we will look for are two 'lanes' that intersect somewhere close to a bedding area. You move to the middle of the lanes and it will give you essentially 360 degrees of hunting (I know, minus the lane you are upwind of). He said that most of his shots are 50 yards or less b/c everything is so thick.

Thus: It seems to me to sight in at 50 yards and know what my patterns look like at 25, 75, and 100 yards. Does this seem like a viable solution? I know it seems like I have already answered my question, but you never know.

-SquirrelNuts

For the distances you will be shooting, I would recommend around a 150-165gr pointed soft point. Try Winchester Super-X, Remington Core-Lokt, or Federal Classicas and you can't go wrong. As far as sighting in, I would set the zero at 100 yards. At 50 yards, the gun will still very close to dead on. Good luck with your hunting!!

Even though most of your shots may be at 50 yards or less, it wouldn't hurt to zero at 100. That would cover you in case the buck of a lifetime offers you a longer shot.

Checking your point of impact at different ranges is a really good idea. Then you will know definitely where your bullet will impact in case you have ever have to make a shot where you have an extremely small shot window.

Good Shooting
RED

Although my usual sight-in is two inches high at 100 to be dead-on at 200, I'd probably go to one inch high at 100 in these close-range circumstances. That's still pretty close, on out to 200...You don't have to think; just point it and pull.

:), Art

Back