Deer Hunting With 30-30 and 35 Remington In Indiana?

Buckgrunt

Inactive
Hello Friends:

Does anyone think the day will soon come when the 30-30 and 35 Remington cartridges will be legal for deer hunting in Indiana when fired through rifles? If so, why, and if not, why not?

Thanks for your imput,
Buckgrunt

Last edited:
I certainly don't have your answer, but I didn't realize that you can't use either one now. I suppose Indiana is a 'shotgun' state. Sorry to hear that.

Buckgrunt

I wouldn't expect it to happen UNLESS hunters' such as yourself petition the DNR and/or the state legislators to make it happen.

It makes no sense to me, that Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa allow the use of modern muzzleloaders but still prohibit the use of centerfire rifles. In fact I started a thread on here sometime back about this issue.

If I was an Indiana resident, I would start by contacting my state representative and state senator about making the change you are seeking.

You are not alone in odd rules on what you can use.

Here in Florida during the "small game season", when hogs are still legal and when you can use rifled shotguns and pistols ( any caliber! ) and muzzle loaders, I can't take my .35 Rem.......

This is on WMAs.........private land is different.

It's a old regulation that needs updating.

Of course the issue of HUNTER ORANGE not being mandatory during the small game season also needs updating even if the rifle regulations are not changed.

correct misinformation

I came across this old thread in searching for some more information about the 35 Remington cartridge.
Thought I might correct some glaring errors previously posted:
"Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa allow the use of modern muzzleloaders but still prohibit the use of centerfire rifles"
??
It's as easy as going to the Indiana DNR website to confirm.
For many years now, Indiana has allowed rifles for dear hunting.
I personally use a .357 Magnum lever action rifle.
Of course, there are caliber restrictions.

From the DNR official site:
"Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches."

"Some cartridges that are legal include the following: .357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester .41 Magnum .41 Special .44 Magnum
.44 Special .44-40 Winchester .45 Colt .454 Casull .458 SOCOM .480 Ruger .475 Linebaugh .50 Action Express .500 S&W"

Back to the original question: the 35 Remington cartridge is legal to hunt deer with (in Indiana) out of a PISTOL only (because, while it is of sufficient caliber, the case length is 1.92 inches).

FYI

From the DNR official site:
"Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches."

"Some cartridges that are legal include the following: .357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester .41 Magnum .41 Special .44 Magnum
.44 Special .44-40 Winchester .45 Colt .454 Casull .458 SOCOM .480 Ruger .475 Linebaugh .50 Action Express .500 S&W"

That does not say why ...... Why are you required to use pistol calibered rifles and yet may use rifle caliber pistols?

It's clear as mud...... foolishness.

Probably similar to why a lot of stupid laws get passed: Somebody with some pull saw something they did not like, and immediately screetched, "Why, There Oughta Be A LAW!!!!!!!!"

..... that's why there is a law against having a loaded firearm on a snowmobile in Nebraska.

wow

I had no idea that a whole state was so regulated. I was aware of shotgun only zones in some places ....but pistol caliber rifles ONLY! Wow.

Is a rifled shotgun barrel legal??, that might be the route I'd take for "enough gun."

JImmbob's got it, pistol caliber rifles, rifle caliber pistols......oh my. What, do tell is their (DNR)logic??? Is IN so flat, or densely populated??

Good luck with a change.

I edited this myself due to political ranting.
I hope the situation gets better for you folks in Indiana.

Last edited:
I haven't looked into the specifics for the reasons, but you can imagine it has to do with population density and how far a rifle bullet will travel.

Shotgun slugs are considered "short range" flying objects.
Bullets from pistols are considered "short range" flying objects.
Handgun cartridges fired from rifles are considered "short range" flying objects.
Round balls fired from muzzle loaders are considered "short range" flying objects.

That may have been true when shot gun slugs were first invented...but then came the 3" magnum, then came the sabot and the rifled barrel and these 1 oz slugs travel a looooong ways. Sorta like bullets from rifles.

That may have been true when muzzle loaders used patched round balls...but then came the in-line muzzle loader, the 209 shotgun shell primer ignition system, the BP pellets, the sabotted bullets and the belted bullets and these things travel a long ways.

----------------

IL isn't too much different from IN. No rifles though.

I'm all set w/ my T/C Contender in 357 max, 12 ga shotgun, and 54 cal muzzle loader.

Rifles stay home....'cause they can shoot reeeeeaaaaly far...and that's bad.

Last edited:
Back