Deer Gun

Sam C

I'm looking for a shot gun for deer hunting. What do you recommend for slug shooting. Ithaca? Remington, Winchester? Browning? I'm interested in a rifled barrel and good triger. Stay Safe, Sam

There's plenty of old threads on this, Sam, a little search in the archives will give you plenty of opinions.

No brand of shotgun shows a great advantage over any other for the purpose you state, so it boils down to personal preference. Same with action style.Exception, few doubles group both bbls together with slugs.

While the versatility of a shotgun means one can hunt anything with it, I do think that having a dedicated deer gun is a good idea.

Full rifled bbls, as a loose rule, do best with sabot loads. Smoothbores and those with rifled tubes tend to do best with Brennekes, and the old Forster slugs. ALL work well on deer, tho blood trails with the sabots tend to be longer.

What greatly aids deer gun performance here is upgraded sights. Some like scopes, I prefer a peep sight. The rifle style sights found on slug bbls have a short sight radius, but if they work for you....

Most modern shotguns have a decent slap trigger. For slug work, a crisp trigger coming in at 3-4 lbs is both safe and accurate. Not all shotgun triggers can be tweaked, but most can.

As for me, my slug gun is a much modified Remington 870, with good trigger,peep, extended mag,and a rifled tube.

Good luck and enjoy..

Back