Deer dragging/transport

riddleofsteel

After developing a near case of tennis elbow dragging deer this year I pressed one of my kid's plastic sleds into service. We killed a big doe yesterday about 3/4 of a mile into the big woods. I just rolled her onto the plastic sled and tied her down. The next step was the 3/4 mile drag to the road and the truck over trails, logs, and VERY steep hills. At the hills I uncoiled a long rope, attached to the sled and climbed to the top of the hill. Then I pulled the sled up the hill while my son kept tension on the rope that was wrapped once around a tree. Easiest deer transport to date, it was like she was on wheels. The long black plastic sled sold for about $19.95 in a hardware store during our last big snow and is pretty thick plastic. Believe me it will be on my truck from now on during deer season. It make a good drag to transport equipment into the woods as well.

We use plastic sleds also, they work well in tall grass, mud and even snow ;)
My younger brother is a firefighter paramedic and somewhere along the way he picked up an orange body bag so we just roll the deer into the bag zip it up tie it to the sled and drag away. Antlers and legs don't get caught up on deadfalls and brush any longer.

Tractor is the best way to go. Tractor can go through mud that would sink a truck or 4 wheeler. Used diesel tractor is cheaper and more reliable than a 4 wheeler. (Got no snow down south but everybody has a tractor. :D)

Attachments

• 3doe.jpg
    3doe.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 60
yeah but the plastic sled is the greatest becuase if you have to cross water we attached foam peise all around it and it floated perfectly...but the doe only weighed 153 i might add

It's all in pounds per square inch (psi). The same pounds spread over more square inches equals an easier pull and a quicker treck to that cold beer in camp.
dean

Riddle of Steel

Hey Riddle, on your website (very interesting - nice job), why is it that under the holster section, there appears to be 2 handguns in holsters which are not featured in your CCW weapons page - namely, what appears to be a Sig (228?), and a S&W of some flavor I believe (a Perf center 452?). Are these part of your "arsenal" as well? Nice grips all around, BTW.

MeekNMild, What kind of tractor is pictured there?

We hunt on our family's land on the Eastern Shore. Generally we retrieve deer using the "garden cart" (kind of like a wheelbarrow box with bicycle wheels) or the mower deck of the tractor depending on how far away we are.

edit: Spelling mistake..Doh!

Terrain has a lot to do with this subject. Two of the bucks I took this season we simply drove an F-350 up to them and loaded them up. Several had to be drug forty or fifty yards though tall grass and aspen to an open field but two had to be strapped to the sled. A tractor would have been far more work then two men pulling that buck up that hill. A good 4x4 4wheeler may have done it but the entire hillside would have been torn up. You don’t use a screw driver to drive nails, you need different tools for different applications ;)

Back