Deep Concealment 22 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Inactive
As a novice, I am looking for recommendations on the a 22 auto concealment pistol. For reliability, accuracy, workmanship and reloading. Thanks

Berretta autos with tip up barrels are great little guns, though they're usefulness has been slashed ten fold by the restriction on the Wallet holster/Beretta combo.

I also have thrown an NAA mini revolver into my pocket on quite a few occasions. I also have one on a neck chain, but I have never actually worn/carried it that way. I know a few guys who wear them on the chain outside of there Ballistic Vests, as a last ditch in the worst case scenario.

The Walther TPH is reputed to be a great gun, but I have never owned one.

The S&W airwieght 10 shot .22 would be a great choice in .22 revolvers.

(btw- this is the 666th post on the handgun section, .22s must be inherent evil.. or is it me? ooo spooky, it is halloween.....)

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 10-31-98).]

Rob: What is the restriction on wallet holsters you mentioned? Also the NAA mini-revolver is an excellent choice for ultra deep concealment. Do you really need ultra deep concealment? An S&W J-frame or a Walther PPK easily concealed wearing only shorts and a tee-shirt, yet they offer better defensive cartridges.

Larry,

With the proliferation of ultra-small, smooth and stone reliable centerfire deep cover handguns out there, it's difficult for me to imagine a situation where a person would be better off going armed with a .22.

An NAA Guardian or Seecamp .32 ACP are smaller than just about any .22 I can think of; advancements in .32 ACP ammo have put this cartridge well ahead of where it was just twenty years ago.

Colt's Mustang and Pony Pocketlites are a bit larger externally than the .32s, but are actually a couple of ounces lighter; both are chambered for the .380 ACP round, which also has seen considerable technological development in the fairly recent past.

Personally, I would (and do!) trust either of the above much more than I would any .22 rimfire handgun for defensive purposes.

Regards,

----Mac

Mac and rest --- I have tried all of the above except the Guardian and Tomcat. The Wather TPH rides in my right front pocket, in a Ken Null holster. I shoot about 1000 rounds thru it each year. Cost to shoot is $20.00 per year. The Seecamp won't even last 500 rounds! And good luck on getting one fixed. The metal on the older ones was as soft as butter. Had to clean up the peening on mine ( 12000sn range ) after two magazines. One box of silver tips is about $20.00. Even if the gun works ( Beretta has had lots of problems ) who can afford to shoot 20 boxes of .32, or who wants to? I can put 7 rounds of 40gr Laupa Speed Ace ( 940fps ) into the nose of my opponent at 7 yards in about 3 1/2 seconds from the pocket, starting with hand on gun. The first rule for gunfights is to have gun etc. GLV

Hey, I'm no Rimfire Hero, but any gun is better than no gun. I agree that the premise of "I need a small gun, so I'll get a .22" is inherently wrong, but I do not agree that the .22 has no place in a defense role. I was merely offering the best choices I could think of for the question that was asked.

That said, I will add that if someone challenges me to a speed/accuracy match and I can have any handgun in my collection, I'm pulling out my sightless Colt Cadet .22lr. (in the true spirit of one-upmanship I will time myself from the holster to ten rounds into a pie plate at 15 feet tomorrow... hand off the gun
wink.gif
)

The wallet holster is an ugly issue, I'll post it in a new thread, because everyone should be aware of it.

Thanks for the feedback. I already have a Walther PPK 7mm, but find it too large for concealment situations such as shorts and a tee or in a boot on a cycle. I did not understand the issue regarding holsters. Additional insight would be helpful.

(Hello Sensei Lucibella)

Concerning hide out guns, my own bias is towards the Beretta Model 21. I use to carry it in my vest holster.

A feature which adds to the safety of the design is the tip up barrel feature. Push the lever and up pops the barrel for you to inspect. It also makes it easy to load or unload the weapon.

At the range, I would practice one handed point shooting and empty it ASAP into a target at 10 feet. With a locked elbow, wrist and a stiff arm, you can get some pretty nifty groups.

My vote for deep concealment is the North American Arms mini.
It is nice to have a gun I can put on a chain and wear as a neck gun...I dont know of any other you can do that with. (with optional key ring adapter)
I do find myself at times wearing only shorts and a tshirt..and when I dont feel like carring a small frame revolver, or something of that sort. I firmly belive that having a .22 on your person is much better than having a lazer sighted high capacity drop anything cannon sitting in the car.
The warenty on the NAA mini is one of the best in the industry. They will fix and upgrade anything they made, no matter if you bought it, or you found it in a mud puddle.
IMHO you cant go wrong....

The thing with wallet holsters is that they are a class II AOW (Any Other Wepon)....
I'm not toaly up on class II but if I understand correctly they have to have a permit to manifacture, and you have to have a permit to buy. But I could be off there.

SD- there is a license to make Class II weapons, however you can make AOWs yourself...

see the thread in this forum on regulated wallet holsters..

For "last ditch" back-up, I carry a small Derringer in .22 mag in a boot holster. It hides well in my small hands and i can put the slugs into a quarter, under pressure, from 7-10 feet away.

I give my vote for the NAA mini revolver with CCI Maxi Mag+V. I always carry it as back up and sometime as only gun when dressed in shorts and tee.

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited 11-02-98).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back